Shower seal (and wife) problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm trying to re-seal an existing shower - where the tiles meet the tray.

There is a gap of 8mm between the shower tray and the bottom tile. I have filed this with sealant, but there is some movement in the floor and the sealant stretches and fails.

I am thinking of putting tile grout in this gap then sealant over the grout. But I am worried that tile grout so near to the shower tray may not be a good idea. Will it crack if the shower tray moves?

Cannot use a seal strip because my wife says so.

Only other idea I've had is to push a narrow plastic strip into the gap then put sealant over the gap- hopefully the plastic strip will stop movement. The plastic strip should be less likely to crack.

any advice?

Sponsored Links
8mm between the bottom tile & the tray is ridiculous, no wonder you having problems; 2mm is the norm; I assume you’ve inherited the problem? If the gap is uniform around the tray, your best bet is to try & raise the tray; it may be on adjustable feet. Tile grout it won’t help at all, it will crack & fall out as you have already gathered, a seal strip or the plastic strip idea is much better but still a long shot & will only be temporary.

The fact that the floor is moving is not good at all & suggests that water has got in & the floor supporting the tray is failing or has already failed; is it chipboard? Even low modulus silicone will only accommodate so much movement & if the tray is visibly moving you have a serious problem & whatever you do now is only ever going to be very temporary before a complete rip out & replace is required.

Tell the wife not to interfere in stuff she has no hope of understanding or repair it herself. :LOL:

Cheers mate - I was hoping that the idea of putting sealant over the grout may have helped. I cannot raise the tray without taking the tiles off - which I dont want to do.
I think I'll try a plastic strip....

A moving shower tray isn't a good sign. If your shower's up stairs I would think about ripping it out and starting again, you don't want water rotting the floor joists.

Sponsored Links
yes definately not , you do not want a moving tray. If you are starting from scratch you should tank the walls, yes its extra work but worth it, have a look at this site http://www.waterproofingshowers.com/ it has a prety handy little animation about the tanking process.
I have used a sealux product before and its very good, you could fit overtile, overtile is not the prettiest but it will waterproof, if you dont want to take off tiles. form v fuction ;) i guess
showersealsdirect.co.uk do them at a good price,

might be of some use,
good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back