Tiling / sealing new shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently decided to replace our aging shower cubicle and quickly discovered that the old tiling has been leaking for some time resulting in ruined plasterboard etc. No sign of any tanking being done. I've ripped out the board and tray and am at the point of fitting new board, tiling, tray and cubicle.

I've been researching it and have decided to tank the area with a Bal or similar kit.

What I'm wondering about is the sealing of the cubicle. I've read varying advice including:

1. Tank and the whole area, tile it down to the floor and then fit the tray, sealing it to the tile with sealant or some type of strip.

2. Fit the shower tray first. Seal it to the bare board using something like a Sealux seal. Tape over this and then tank the area. Tile down to the tray and use sealant at this joint.

3. Various others

Which method should I use for a domestic shower?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
if you havent yet boarded then use a cement backer board and tape the joints - no need to tank and better to tile on! board it out, fit the tray (silicone it to the backer boards) then tile down and over the tray. use silicone between the tile bottom and the tray.

if your set on tanking, use option 2 but replace the sealux seal with silicone. fit the tray to the board using silicone, tank down to and slightly over your tray. then tile down and use silicone at the joint.

in all cases use a very good quality silicone - dont skimp on cost

Thanks mate

I've been looking at cement board / aquaboard but it all seems to be in 12mm and the rest of the room is done in 9mm so in terms of getting it from a local supplier I might be stuck with plasterboard and tanking.

Re: option 2, do you mean that I use the tanking kit tape to overlap the top of the tray by a few mm so that overlap is then hidden by the thickness of the tiles?

Sponsored Links
anything with a high silicone content and a mould inhibitor. Dow corning 785+ is perhaps one of the best

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back