Re-seal / re-grout / re-tile around bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Since we had our bathroom fitted a year ago, the bath has always leaked and the seal turns mouldy quickly. The guy who did the job has since been back and re-sealed around the bath but the issue is still there. So today, I want to try to fix this and I started by removing the old sealant and the grout has pulled off with it
crybaby2.gif
pics attached.

Is it a good idea to have mosaic around a bathtub? I 'think' the water is penetrating through the mosaic which makes any sealant pointless. Everything looks dry from on top but the grout was soaking wet behind the sealant which caused it to snap off with ease.
Should I bother with re-grouting again? What if I just plugged the gap with silicone sealant? Theres 10mm gap from top of bath to bottom of mosaic.

Any advice is very much appreciated!

IMG_20160430_151758754.jpg
IMG_20160430_151807285.jpg
IMG_20160430_151810335.jpg
IMG_20160430_151826800.jpg

Sponsored Links
Lots of potential causes to consider here...

Are the walls solid brick, block or stud walls?
What are they clad in around the wet area - plasterboard or tile backer board?
Is the bath acrylic, fibreglass, grp etc - does it "flex" a lot around the rims?
Were the tiles dot and dabbed on or combed bed?
Was the grout a waterproof and flexible type?

Clean everything out, all loose grout and blown mosaic tiles; allow to thoroughly dry; rebed loose blown tiles (consider changing mosaics to cut full tiles if you can - reducing gap above bath rim as 10mm is a lot!); if keeping as is then fill bath 3/4 full and apply decent silicone (CT1) against bath rim and wall background; regrout with good quality grout (Mapei etc) leave lowest horizontal line between bath and wall ungrouted - fill it with silicone; consider buying and fitting a bath sealant trim to span gap; with bath still 3/4 full, apply finish silicone bead between trim & wall and trim & bath.
As an extra measure, try and develop the habit of wiping dry the bath rim with your towel after bathing or showering!

I read not to grout the interface between the bath and tile due to slight movements of the bath causing it to crack and leak. On my bath I filled this connection with silicone while the bath was filled, and haven't had any issues.

Some bits have gone mouldy where they dont get the chance to dry out, as bottles etc get left touching the silicone and trap plenty of moisture.

Lots of potential causes to consider here...

Are the walls solid brick, block or stud walls?
What are they clad in around the wet area - plasterboard or tile backer board?
Is the bath acrylic, fibreglass, grp etc - does it "flex" a lot around the rims?
Were the tiles dot and dabbed on or combed bed?
Was the grout a waterproof and flexible type?

1. Solid brick walls all sides
2. There is no backer board on the taps side. Aquaboard has been used on the long side of the bath.
3. Standard acrylic 'P' bath and yes, it does flex on the edges if i push down with my hand.
4. No idea.
5. Grout was waterproof and flexi type.

Sponsored Links
I read not to grout the interface between the bath and tile due to slight movements of the bath causing it to crack and leak. On my bath I filled this connection with silicone while the bath was filled, and haven't had any issues.

Some bits have gone mouldy where they dont get the chance to dry out, as bottles etc get left touching the silicone and trap plenty of moisture.

Yes thats exactly what I found that the gap between bath and tile had been grouted then sealant on top of this, although the sealant looked ok the grout had cracked and was allowing water through. I did initially think of buying plumbers gold / ct1 and completely filling that gap up but 10mm?!
Really considering taking the mosaic out, however that tap is butted up against and will have to take the tap off etc. It will just turn into a headache and all the while shower is out of action which is an issue too.

Like I wrote... Don't fill horizontal line between tiles and bath with grout... Use silicone and consider a bath trim to cover that 10mm gap!

Thw Topps Ultraseal is actually quite good looking when installed. Definitely check out your local plumbing shop too!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back