Tile adhesive & Mapei grout query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm re-grouting the floor on the wet room as the grout had cracked and water was getting through especially around the drain area.

1639080674670.jpg

Would someone be able to advise on a suitable adhesive or cement to use to re-fix a few 1" marble mosaic tiles in a wet room. I was thinking that maybe OB1 Multi-Purpose Sealant & Adhesive would be suitable? Something that cures/sets pretty quickly would be ideal.

The wet room is on a suspended timber floor so there is probably a bit of movement, is Mapei Ultracolor Plus Floor Grout likely to have enough flex for that?

Thanks

Here's what it looked like before I removed the grout (and dislodged a few tiles)

Sponsored Links
From a DIY point of view I've found BAL by far the best grout, they do a flexible one.

From a DIY point of view I've found BAL by far the best grout, they do a flexible one.
Thanks for the advice - I rang up the BAL support line and they advised the following;
BAL Max-Flex Fibre C2TS1 Tile Adhesive
BAL Micromax2 CG2WA Grout + additive BAL Admix GT1

Small update in case it's of use to anyone spotting this thread in the future.

The BAL Max-Flex Tile Adhesive worked a treat.

However buried in the instructions on the BAL Micromax2 Grout it says "Do not use shower for at least 2 weeks after completion of grouting". This was a deal breaker for me as I needed the shower back working sooner than that. So instead I used Mapei Ultracolor Plus Grout which can be used after 48 hours in a shower.

Sponsored Links
Thus far I have not found any grout that lasts where there is movement. I hope yours does. It would be helpful if you could update this post in a few months.

I did once use silicone to temporarily "fix" the grouting cracks in a customer's wet room floor. I advised her that the whole lot needed lifting but she was having guests arriving soon. I removed all of the grout and replaced the whole lot with silicone. That was about 5 years ago but the shower is rarely used.

I haven't logged in a while!
Shower still functioning without any leaks. I've probably jinxed it now :D

Thanks for the update.

It will help other people that stumble across your post.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back