Lifting tiles - Re-grouting/adhesive advise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the end of last year I replaced some old, cracked tiles around the windowsill of my bathroom. The tiles are set onto wood, plywood I think (by previous owner). I used a Fix-n-grout to do the job which looked great fro a few weeks but since then the grout has cracked and become discoloured, and tiles are lifting. More fix-n-grout to fill cracks and almost the same day they crack again. Obviously I need a more professional adhesive and grout to give me a better job. I also want to dig out all the other grout for the whole bathroom and do it again properly.

I need to know a recommended grout and fix or perhaps separate grout and adhesive that is reliable and can be fixed to plywood that won't lift or crack.

Also, a decent bit I can put on the end drill or small multi craft tool that would get the grout out faster. And also, a good tool (tried glass scraper but no success) that will get these horrible transfers off the tiles.

Thanking in advance.

Attachments

• Tile.jpg
    Tile.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 301
Sponsored Links
use a decent flexible powdered adhesive that says it is suitable for wood and a separate flexible grout. Those transfers look like they are part of the manufacturing process of the tiles, I suspect they are permanent.

Fix-n-grout is rubbish, its never used by professionals. Grout & adhesive are distinct & separate animals.
Tiling on wood in that wet area will help the wood to swell and blow the tile and grout.
The tile job looks very poor & is not going to get better - I'm not criticising you DIY67, just saying how it is.

Pull the tile and window board ply, and replace with an off-cut of backer board or a packing of sand & cement.
Use cementitious powdered adhesive and bagged grout.
Silicone the inside corners.
There are "multi-craft" grinding wheels suitable for grout removal.

FWIW: From what I can see on the photo you would be better off demo'ing the whole tiled area and starting again doing it properly, and making it look presentable.

Granted, it looks poor because they are now lifting but with a new grout, reset tiles it looks fine. Just making the best of what we have. I have no intention of starting again as I don't have the time or experience. I just want to get the tiles to stay where they are and not lift again, with a nice new grout.

use a decent flexible powdered adhesive that says it is suitable for wood and a separate flexible grout.

I think this is my choice. Thanks anyway for the advise.

Sponsored Links
get all the adhesive off and give it a couple of coats of SBR primer too. As Vinn says having timber in a potential wet area like that isn't ideal, but I can also see why you don't want to rip the whole lot out

Ok, I forgot to say that these tiles are sitting on older tiles underneath and are like concrete to get off so the wood isn't getting wet I can assure you. So it's a case of just grouting and re-glueing with a better quality adhesive.

that changes things a little find an adhesive suitable for fixing over glazed tiles but otherwise good to go

So no offence but even after the advice of someone highly regarded in this forum, you are still determined to use a ready mix? :/

I side with Vinn on this. Rip the lot off, overboard with 6mm backerboard (not ply, chip or mdf ) and then use a S1 (flexible) adhesive.

Well as it was some time before I had an answer here I got Homebase own waterproof adhesive and Wilko Unibond Quick Grout Triple Protection Anti-Mould Waterproof White.

Did it work? Unibond has a poor reputation for a reason and Homebase own brand? I've never heard of it and again, probably for a good reason. Was it powder based? Ready mixed has nothing on its powder counterpart for future reference. If it goes to hell again then try something like BAL, Tilemaster, Ardex etc. Reputable but professional quality.

Not done it yet but hope this time (a better, dedicated adhesive) will hold. If not I will get the above recommended. The tile grout is waterproof, significantly better than the "fix n grout" I bought.

Aye but if it's tubbed and on water bloated ply then it will blow. And don't dot and dab. Let us know.

I agree I wouldn't use even a decent dispersion adhesive over existing tiles

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back