Tilling adhesive and tiling grout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry for another post, but this one is more about wanting confirming of assumptions I am making about how I am going to tile the rooms I am doing.

After reading the wall and floor tiling basics these are the assumptions I am making.

Use powered tile adhesive on the wall tiles (as I am looking to use large tiles).
I've seen BAL is a good shout but I noticed that, unlike the pre-made stuff, that you can't get a anti mould version of this (powder). Am I right assuming this because its not really something to be concerned about when just sticking the tiles to the wall? The anti mould is something for the grouting.
Can anyone recommended a good BAL powder adhesive to use?

Grouting the tiles. Should I be looking to get the pre-made grout (which includes the anti mould)? Something like BAL brilliant white?
Is the pre-made stuff, like this, the way to go with grouting? Like I say above I can't find a powder version that has the anti mould properties.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
I thought PBD had answered your question! If your tiles are larger than around 250mm, use a powder cement adhesive but which one you need will depend on what tile base your sticking them onto; what is the tile base? Plaster board is useless in a wet area unless its tanked & plaster has weight restrictions so can be a problem for large format tiles!

If it’s boards, you need a flexi but if it’s a solid wall you generally don’t. I use BAL & generally use either Rapidset or Rapiset Flexible but these have a short pot life (around 40 minutes) & if your inexperienced, a slower setting adhesive will be more suitable but it must be left overnight before grouting.

I wouldn’t use pre-mixed adhesive on large format tiles or ANY fix & grout product, even one manufactured by BAL. It wont be better than a conventional adhesive & separate cementitious grout. I use Microflex & this is anti bacterial but you need to understand that all conventional cementitious adhesives & grouts will absorb moisture & will suffer mould growth to some degree, even anti-bacterial; its good ventilation & a suitable cleaning regime that will keep it at bay. The ultimate would be to use epoxy tiling products which is truly waterproof but they are generally not necessary in domestic showers, are relatively expensive & can be difficult to use for the inexperienced.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply.

I am looking to tile ceramic tiles onto aqua panels so want to make sure I pick the right BAL adhesive and grout.

Sounds like rapid set powder & microflex grout is the way to go!

You need Rapidset Flexible over tile backer board but if you feel a 40 minute adhesive pot life is too short for you, use Single Part Flexible. Either will do the job as well but SPF has a pot life of 5 hours os it will give you far more time. Use Microflex grout.

One last question on this. Is the microflex a suitable grout to use in the bathroom where I plan of fitting a bath shower which will be powered by a shower pump (so high pressure).

If microflex is not suitable for this what other BAL grout should I consider?

Many thanks

If it's a pumped shower with conventional overhead nozzle, Microflex will be fine. For a shower with angled body jets, use Easypoxy grout.

With any grout, it's recomended you do not use the shower for 2 weeks.

I was wondering if the adhesive mentioned, BAL Rapidset Flexible, the best bet to use on Aquapanels and Moistureshield Plasterboard? Or does it not matter what board you are going to be tiling on and this adhesive is fine to use on these boards?

As I said before, what type of adhesive you use depends on the size/weight of your tiles. You can use a good tub ready mix with smaller tiles but should use powder adhesive on tiles larger than around 250mm or over 8mm thick. Use flexible adhesive over any type of boards but you only need standard adhesive on solid brick/block walls. Rapidset has a short 40 minute pot life, if you are going to be uncomfortable with that, choose a slower setting adhesive.

If you use a powder adhesive on plaster or plasterboard, you should acrylic prime to avoid the possibility of a reaction between the cement in powder adhesive & gypsum in the plaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back