What do I use to fill gap between bath and bottom tile row?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have recently put a new bath in, and redone the tiling.

Following advice on this forum I butted the bath flush up to the wall first, then tiled the wall down to the top of the bath, leaving a 2-3mm gap between the rim (top edge) of the bath and the bottom edge of the bottom row of tiles.

I have now grouted all of the tiles with the exception of the 2-3mm gap along the bottom of the tiles.

I have read that you should first fill the bath with water before filling this gap, as there will be some movement in the bath which will pull against the tiles, but i'm not sure what to fill it with.

Originally I was going to continue grouting along this gap, and then cover with a layer of silicon sealant. But now I am concerned that if I grout inbetween the tiles and the bath this will create a rigid bridge that may pull the tiles off when the bath moves.

Please can someone advise me, how do I fill this gap?

- grout is ok? (if so, do I still need to fill the bath whilst the grout sets?)
- just silicon sealant required (filling the bath first?)
- flexible caulk?

Many thanks
Tom

Sponsored Links
NOT Grout or caulk mate ,fill the bath with water and fill the gap with a good brand silicone, leave the wqter in the bath for a good few hours, or even overnight if you can, then let the water out, the bath will rise a little, giving you a watertight seal

I have succesfully used self adhesive sealing tape from National Stair Nosings & Floor Edgings.Here is link;http://www.nationalstairnosings.co.uk/Bath-Shower-Sealing-Kitchen-Strip/dp/B008IJFKVY?class=quickView&field_availability=-1&field_browse=2309691031&field_product_site_launch_date_utc=-1y&id=Bath+Shower+Sealing+Kitchen+Strip&ie=UTF8&refinementHistory=brandtextbin%2Csubjectbin%2Ccolor_map%2Cprice%2Csize_name&searchNodeID=2309691031&searchPage=1&searchRank=salesrank&searchSize=12

Sponsored Links
Ideally you should silicon the bath edge before and after tiling, twice as secure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back