correct way to install plastic windows?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can any one tell me the correct way double glazed windows should be fitted?
Ie. (1) should the cavity under the window be sealed off before the window is fitted.
(2) Should the window be fitted on a bed of mortar/cement?
(3) At what points should the frame be screwed to the wall (side , top , bottom)?
(4) should the fixing screws be put in at an angle?
Any other points to watch out for?
thank you

Sponsored Links
I can tell you how NOT to do it...We recently removed a window that had been fitted by a national highly reputable firm about 12 years ago. It had was fitted straight onto the blockwork using TWO masonary screws thru the bottom, the sides and top did not touch any block work, had no screws or other fixings and was only held in place with sealant and plastic trim!!

We were replacing it with patio doors, so probably a little different to windows, but I would want to screw it in all round an wouldn't sit it on a bed of mortar, just straight onto the block work unless not level. If you need to fill the void between inner/outer blockwork then don't forget to use some membrane to prevent the ingress of damp.

Chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back