Correct way to join cables where no access is available

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a couple of spurs and rings that i want to extend to allow me to move the location of a couple of sockets. There is not enough slack to use the existing cables so i need to extend them. In the past i've always used the white, 30 amp, round, connection boxes but in this case i've not got enough room to fit one in.

What other methods are acceptable? Crimp connectors with heat shrink? Once the joint is made it will not be accessiible, ie in conduit under a concrete floor.

Sponsored Links
Lower said:
I've got a couple of spurs and rings that i want to extend to allow me to move the location of a couple of sockets. There is not enough slack to use the existing cables so i need to extend them. In the past i've always used the white, 30 amp, round, connection boxes but in this case i've not got enough room to fit one in.
JB's need to be accessible so may be it would not be the best solution in the first place.

What other methods are acceptable? Crimp connectors with heat shrink? Once the joint is made it will not be accessiible, ie in conduit under a concrete floor.

Yes, crimped connection don't need to be accessible, if you use conduit you will still be able to change the cable if you need to.

Thanks for your help. I wasn't sure what whether crimped connectons were suitable for household electics. Presumably they would need to be heat shrinked over too.

Lower said:
Thanks for your help. I wasn't sure what whether crimped connectons were suitable for household electics. Presumably they would need to be heat shrinked over too.

Yes use shrinking sleeves and if you pass the cable (I assume T&E), using PVC conduit (you can use oval conduit) it will make life easier in the future.

Sponsored Links
Bit of a bugbear this one. If you apply insulation on site, ie heatshrink or tape, then its integrity will need to be tested, as per the regs. you can buy proper cable joint kits. An alternative is to find if you can join the cable somewhere more accessable and run the cable in one piece through the unaccessabe bit. It is in conduit after all!
BTW if you do crimp/heatshrink, use the proper ratchat type crimp. They hold the cable/crimp properly and at the right pressure. if you have one of these nasty things that come free with a gallon of petrol, leave it in the car, they are not up to doing the job that you are trying to do. Adhesive lined heatshrink makes for a better seal, and be careful when you strip back to bare wire, if you notch the copper core, then crimp, bend.....core snaps. And usually where you can't get at it! Bugger
Hope this helps
D

one method that has being used in the past is to sink a single box with a blank fitted over it with a suitable connector in it. Provides a handy joint to run that extra spur!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back