Extending Cable in Outside wall - How to Join

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a wall light outside, under cover and not affected by the weather. However I need to drop it a foot or so which means extending the existing 1.5 T&E cable thats buried in the joints. Is it acceptable to solder the cable cores and cover with shrink tube and plastic and bury in the joints to extend the cable ?

Alternative is to dig a bigger hole out and use connectors and tape up so the solder option would be preferable if allowed

Sponsored Links
Screwed connectors and tape is not allowed if the joint is not accessible
Tape is not allowable. It, well, falls off after time.

You can solder the joint, sleeve the individual splices and then cover the whole in heatshrink sleeving.

Better to run a new length of cable from source to the new position.

I was thinking of a "proper" connector block as well but they are all fairly large. I think the heatshrink is the pragmatic way forward given that running a new cable would be almost impossible and cause massive destruction. However its the ideal solution of course and I will have another look in the morning when its daylight. Hopefully its not as bad as I think

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I couldn't think what else you would have meant.

But nor can I see how you could have a vertical joint a foot long to bury more cable in.

:)

True, it would have to wend its merry way around a couple of bricks...vertically.

Alternative run for a fresh cable is a bit complex and about 12 feet. Doable but messy and for the sake of a bit of soldering and heat shrink ........

I wondered about that. Is there no degree of width/allowance where such a (non straight) run would be allowed ? Basically its a half a brick width but vertical direction around two bricks. Otherwise I am left with chasing out a run on two bricks.

Actually thats not too bad as the light fitting will cover the work.... (y) :idea:

I'd be tempted to go for a new cable - chances are you will have to go that route one day anyway

That will be the case as the fitting is a largish rectangular shape so in that respect its OK but I will double check tomorrow to make sure and as you say the bends aren't too tight. Probably safer/neater to run a short 7 inches max chase through the two bricks and slip the cable and join into a short piece of platic oval conduit to protect from the cement and then fill in. It will be out of sight anyway even if a couple of inches are above the fitting as its high up so it will look neat. And I'd feel better with the cable in something even on such a short run.

I'd be tempted to go for a new cable - chances are you will have to go that route one day anyway

My preferred solution Steve. But its not practical at the moment as it means taking door trim off and messing about with however it was run when first installed. But again, I'll have a poke around tomorrow and see in daylight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back