Joining Cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For joining cable in inaccessible places (under floorboards) is it acceptable in regs to twist and solder, and insulate with tape? (I mean 1.0 1.5 2.5mm sq single core cables.)

Thanks Peter

Sponsored Links
Twist I would probably not, soldering is fine, insulation tape NO,

The simplest method I think is Crimp and heat shrink!!!

If you solder then Heat shrink!! not tape

Co-incidently I had to do a soldered joint over the weekend.

I strip about 2cm of each core, lie them side-by-side and wrap round with a strand from a 1.5mm conduit single.

Then solder. Then heat-shrink over each conductor, and overall heat-shrink. Staggering the joints as with crimps makes it neater/easier.

Sponsored Links
:) That would be quite a joint using 2.5mm^2, let alone 4 or 6!

I pulled some of that old braided cloth covered rubber stuff (disused) out at the same time - looked fine until you bent it then the insulation dropped right off.

Thanks for the advice. I had done it twisted and soldered and taped it :oops: but got myself a crimping tool and some heat shrink sleeve today and have re-done it. It worked very well and much neater. :D

Regards

Peter

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back