Extending 2.5mm twin and earth, correctly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to extend some 2.5mm t&e mains cable, the join will be hidden away (for ever) behind plasterboard. What's the correct method of extending it?

simple connector block and then cover with insulation tape?

Sponsored Links
First things first.....

Is the the you are doing taking away an accessory?

Does that make sence? Umm.......

Once you have done the join, and it has been plastered over, will the cable be in a 'safe' zone, or 50mm or more below the surface?

A safe zone is:-

- Horizontally or vertically from an accessory, the zone being the width/height of the accessory. This zone extends to the other side of a wall if the wall is 100mm thick or less.

- Within 150mm or the corner of a wall, or where the wall joins the ceiling (still a dirty practice if you conceil wiring here!).

The only other option for T+E would be if it was in earthed steel conduit or trunking, or protected against penetration by nails and the like. (Steel capping from a DIY store or merchant WOULD NOT be adequate).

If your cable does not run true to above, you need to make sure you leave an accessory on the wall (A socket, switch, blank plate even).

As Lectrician states above...

and regarding an actual joint....

If forever, really means forever then ideally there shouldn't be a joint at all. However if it has to be there then it needs to be crimped accordingly using the appropriate sizes lugs, then taped up, and preferably put into and enclosure to protect the connections. The crimp joints need to be double checked to ensure they are made correctly.

The common used method of connector block and insulations tape can only be used if the connection is easily accessible, but the connection should be ideally enclosed to provide mechanical protection for the connections.

It's in a safe zone. Basically someone has instead a single socket about 7 foot up the wall. I need to move it directly downwards to a normal level but there's not enough cable to pull down.

I've never done a crimped joint before, I could use a blank plate though as it's only in a pantry area so the blank plate won't look that odd.

Sponsored Links
assuming the existing socket is not a spur personally i'd just leave the socket where it is and run a spur from it down to a new socket below.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back