Extending downstairs ring main into conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. Hope you can help.

Just had a conservatory installed. I have installed four double sockets and have run the cable into the house to extend the downstairs socket ring main. (2.5mm T&E).

Is it OK to simply extend the ring main or does conservatory wiring require a RCD?

Please try and keep the answers simple!!

Sponsored Links
conservatory wiring does not require an RCD, unless it "can be reasonably expected to provide power to equipment outside the equipotential zone (OUTSIDE, to you and I)"

In other words, if the existing ring main is not RCD protected, it would probably be wise to get an electrician to provide one for the whole circuit.

That answers my question. Thanks very much. I'll keep on the safer side and get one fitted.

Sponsored Links
Or replace the circuit mcb for an rcbo (if it's not an older cu), or install rcd socket outlets in the conservatory (gets round the regs but not in the spirit of the regs).
But as said the ideal solution is to get the whole circuit rcd/rcbo protected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back