10 May 2009
Reaction score
United Kingdom

Just looking for clarification on a matter.... I am currently building a conservatory and want to do the following...

I currently have a double socket in the house that is on the wall that backs onto the cavity of my conservatory dwarf wall. Now this socket never gets used so my plan was to remove the socket and put a blanking plate on the front and 30 amp terminal block the one feed and ring it round the conservatory for two sockets and then return back to the blanking socket and 30 ampt terminal block for other feed therefore extending the ring. Is this the way to do it or should I be using a junction box?
Sponsored Links
Perfectly acceptable.

However, you can use one set of connectors, and connect the remaining wires to that existing socket, rather than lose it.
What you propose would extend the ring and convert the old socket into a junction box.
However you will need to test the installation to ensure the ring is complete and the resistance of whole circuit does not exceed the permitted values for the automatic disconnection device used.
Unless you already have RCD protection this will need adding. If it does need adding then to have a spur and a fused connection unit with RCD would be easiest method.
Even if you have a RCD already I would consider using a FCU and spur unless you have some very high powered equipment to be used in extension.
Sponsored Links
Well the ring I am looking to extend is about 3 months old as it was put in for my extension last year. This ring is currently just for 4 dining room sockets (PC, guitar amp, and stereo) and a bedroom with 3 sockets powering TV, Alarm clock & lamp. So am guessing this is fairly low usage/power. One of the proposed sockets in the conservatory I do intend to have a electric effect wood burner thingy so that's why I want the wiring to be kosher. The house had a new fuse board fitted also 2 years ago so that's fairly modern also.

Yes I was planning on running the cables in the cavity of the conservatory (for ease and less cableing need but I am guessing that your about to tell me that I shouldn't do this?



DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local