Extending a plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am putting in a false wall and my existing double plug will be behind the wall. I want to extend the plug to the outside of the new wall so can i simply extend some 2.5mm twin and earth from the old plug and connect to another replacement plug on the new wall. The old plug will remain behind the wall but will not be used.

Is this classed as a spur as the original plug wont be used.? Does this comply with regulations as surveyors cant get to the ring main?

Sponsored Links
No - this isn't acceptable.

As you are installing a new wall, it wont hurt if you damage the original wall?

I would knick the plaster off to gain some cable (hopefully the cables come downwards). You can then put your new plug a little higher up on the new wall.

You may also find, if your cables have been run in conduit, that you can pull a little more through.

If none of these ways seem appropriate, a crimpt joint is the only way forward - this must be enclosed in a suitable enclosure, and you should crimp both cables seperately to give you two new cables at the new socket.

What sort of wall are we talking?? Studding off I assume??

Clad you are not simply using longer screws :LOL:

Thanks for the reply. After several conversations I have decided to get myself an electrician in. Let him sort it. This way i know its certified.

How much does it cost to rewire about 4-5 double plugs and install a cooker plug?. I already have a fuse on my board for it.

Sponsored Links
Tekkishodan said:
How much does it cost to rewire about 4-5 double plugs and install a cooker plug?. I already have a fuse on my board for it.

how much is my computer worth?

andy said:
Tekkishodan said:

how much is my computer worth?

40p

*tosses andy a 50p coin* keep the change :LOL:

Tekkishodan said:
sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. :LOL:

I was looking for a ballpark figure from an electrician.
It will depend on how difficult the job is due to access, so it would be hard to give a figure but i'd roughly say about £30-£40 per point plus materials

Too many possibles, no electrician would quote for that kind of job without seeing it.
Where in Birmingham are you?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back