Getting Power To Wall Mounted TV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can anyone suggest the best way to get power to a wall mounted TV and an HDMI receiver behind it? Should I just create a spur from another lounge socket? or should I extend the individual power cables or even use a plug extension behind the wall? What are the regulations on this?

Thanks for any help.

Gary

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the response.

Are their any Part P regs on this? Can I create the spur and then fish the cable behind the dot and dab wall to the TV?

Thanks again.

Gary

Part P applies to all electrical work in dwellings.
You may be getting confused and actually thinking of notifiable work.
Where in the UK do you live?

Is the circuit to be extened in a general room - not a kitchen or bathroom?

You must maintain wiring zones (horizontally and vertically between accessories being part of) and ensure there's additional protection for the addition you're adding assuming the cable will be less than 50mm from the surface of the plasterwork, which it will be in your case.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the response.

I am adding the additional socket in a lounge and will be feeding the wire under the dot and dab to a mounted LCD TV. If possible I will be running the wire behind the scirting then straight up to the TV.

Cheers,

Gary

If possible I will be running the wire behind the scirting then straight up to the TV

Forget that idea - it's not a safe wiring zone.

I assume you won't be installing the cable within earthed metallic conduit to protect the cable from nails, screws, drills etc?

Hi,

Ok so scirting is a no no. So would it be OK to fish it vertically then horizontally behind the plasterboard.

I really don't want to dig channels in the plaster as this is a new build I have just bought and do not want my wife to kill me ;) Therefore I am looking at fishing the wire behind the plaster board on a dot and dab wall.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Gary

So would it be OK to fish it vertically then horizontally behind the plasterboard

Yes, if the cable stays vertical to the socket it leaves and stays horizontal to the socket it feeds.
You may find it difficult to do that as dabs of adhesive will dictate your route.

Was under the impression that if plasterboard has been fixed to the wall with adhesive you need a solid layer of it at the top to satisfy fire resistance regs. So if it's been done properly you won't be able to fish down the back from the top. Of course the assumption it was done properly might be rather a large one :)

I don't think he is fitting socket against ceiling. Although if he makes hole for socket what odds there is a blob below?

So are you saying that if the builders have done their job correctly that there will be no access from above because the adhesive blobs? This messes things up a little as I was planning on dropping other non-electric cables from above and installing speaker cable from above.

How do the pro's install new sockets into an existing property? Is it always channelling through plaster or are their other techniques?

Is it possible to make small holes in the adhesive (big enough for the cables)?

Thanks,

Gary

Was under the impression that if plasterboard has been fixed to the wall with adhesive you need a solid layer of it at the top to satisfy fire resistance regs. So if it's been done properly you won't be able to fish down the back from the top. Of course the assumption it was done properly might be rather a large one :)

God knows he he goes on with the big hole that's caused by his stairs!

I would have thought the above only applies if between separate fire compartments.
If it's a standard 2 storey dwelling then it's one single fire compartment and not a problem.

Also, I've yet to see a plasterer put a full line of adhesive at the top of a wall board.

well, just asked over on plastering forum, so we shall know soon enough!

Even so, you're going to need a lot of things in your favour..
I was planning on dropping other non-electric cables from above and installing speaker cable from above.
You'll need the adhesive blobs to be in a line, to not be where you want to run cables, and thick enough to give you a big enough gap between the boards and the wall. And then you're going to have to hope that the cables don't snag on any badly aligned blockwork on the way down.

Is it possible to make small holes in the adhesive (big enough for the cables)?
What with?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back