Extending Mains Ring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have removed a cover of a plug socket I am thinking of extending the plug ring from.

In the plug are three cables, one of which I know runs a spur on the opposite side of the wall, the other two both connect to the plug.

My question is can I extended the ring from here and how is it done.

I know i need to disconnect on of the cables and run a cable to the next new socket and so on until the last new socket and then connect this last socket to the wire disconnected from the existing plug, but what can I use to make this connection?

Sponsored Links
look in for refernce.

and while you are at it, make the spur part of the ring

Hi

I have looked in the reference section, I just wantto know what I can use to reconnect the ring from the last new socket to the existing wire in the existing socket as it ends with just enough cable to connect to the socket. There is no room for a junction box

you cant really connect inside the socket normally as you will not be able to fit connector blocks of the right amperage inside it. i would normally use a 30A junction box on one of the cables

Sponsored Links
look in refernce, again, try crimps, but do note what it says

best solution is to replace one of the cables coming to the socket where you have opened the ring right back to wherever it comes from and redirect it to one of the new ones. If not, then make a join under the floor or in roof with a junction box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back