Easy testing method for ring main wiring ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm just about to extend my ring main for some new conservatory wiring but have a small query.

The plug I was intending to use to extend from is only a spur (i.e. one twin/earth wire connection. Directly on the other side of the wall to this socket is another socket, this time with three wire connections. I would therefore presume that this plug is on the existing ring main with one of the wires leading off it, presumably to the spurred socket on the other side of the wall.

Could anyone tell me an easy method of establishing which of the wires are related to the ring main, and which one spurs off to the other socket.... Also, on this same matter, as these sockets are part of a 10 year old extension to the house, how could I check that is is in fact a proper ring main and not just a radial circuit (as I can't verify who the initial electricians were )

Many Thanks

:D

Sponsored Links
you can find out if its a ring by disconnecting the wiring at one socket and using a multimeter on the continuity range. Not that there is anything improper about a radial provided cable size and fuse/breaker are appropriate.

you can find out which wire is which in much the same way, the ring cables will have continuity to each other the spur one won't have continuity to either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back