Corrosion on copper heating pipe in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A copper pipe that connects to the heater in my bathroom has green corrosion on it, specifically on a 90 degree joint. This has presumably come about over the years due to condensation accumulating there.

No doubt it will need to be replaced one day but in the meantime is there anything that I can treat it with to get rid of the corrosion and maybe even slow down any decay?

Sponsored Links
Probably a bit of left over flux. Give it a clean if you don't like the look of it.

Green scourer with a little bit of soapy liquid on it then give it a good wipe with a wet cloth after, it'll clean up no bother. If it's stubborn then a bit of 120grit sandpaper, then the green pad......

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the suggestions.

This also reminds me that I saw some similar green corrosion (but multiple patches) on a copper pipe in my attic a few weeks ago, I'm not sure what the pipe is connected to as there's a lot of fibreglass insulation up there and I wasn't in the mood to trace a pipe. Try the same suggested treatments I guess?

Green scourer with a little bit of soapy liquid on it then give it a good wipe with a wet cloth after, it'll clean up no bother. If it's stubborn then a bit of 120grit sandpaper, then the green pad......

Yes, if it stays clean there's not a prob. If green corrosion or white limescale comes back, you still have a leak.

Really depends on what is causing the corrosion. In most cases it's because flux wasn't cleaned off of soldered joints properly, if that's cleaned properly then it shouldn't return. Or as @gas112 suggeste, a lot of corrosion on pipes/rads in a bathroom, that's next to a toilet, is because of a bad aim or toilet splashes.

If it's CC or acidic water corrosion then chances are it's already pin holed/badly soldered and the fitting would normally be damp and would need a repair.

Thanks again for the helpful info. The length of pipe I also mentioned in my attic (which has small patches green corrosion on stretches that don't have any joints) will perhaps need replacing? There's no sign of a leak around any of those green areas but perhaps instead of cleaning that off I should call in a plumber to replace that stretch of pipe?

If they are small green patches particularly if they have a slight raised appearance may possibly be pin hole corrosion .
Certainly worth while getting it checked.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back