Corrugated garage roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a double garage (7m x 7m), single skin brick wall construction, with double skin pillars every metre, and a huge RSJ running from front to back in the middle.

It has a cement/asbestos corrugated roof, that has most definately passed it's useable life (leaking all over the place)

I plan to replace the roof in the spring/early summer, and although would like to put a proper pitched roof on, I really can't see me affording to do that.

Would something like this be an appropriate direct replacement?

http://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/...ted-bitumen-green-roof-sheets-2m-x-950mm.html

If so, reading the PDF installation instructions, it says that a pitch of 5-10 degrees (my roof changes in height by 3 brick rows in 7 metres - so I think I fall into this catagory) the roof sheets should go over the top of close boarding or decking, rather than timbers at 600 centres.

The current cement/asbestos stuff if simply placed on timbers at 500-600 centres.... so boarding over once the existing roof has been safely removed is not at all difficult, but I just wondered if it is necessary?

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Hiya

It would hold down better and be more secure on close boarding or decking but really, its your choice. Every 600 Centers is fine.

I'm a roofer in the scottish borders and we mainly do repairs on farms etc, the 95% of the corrigated roofs are 400 - 600 centers just on beams, no sarkinboard or nothing, so, yeah I'd say your fine

Hiya

It would hold down better and be more secure on close boarding or decking but really, its your choice. Every 600 Centers is fine.

I'm a roofer in the scottish borders and we mainly do repairs on farms etc, the 95% of the corrigated roofs are 400 - 600 centers just on beams, no sarkinboard or nothing, so, yeah I'd say your fine

Thanks - makes sense!

How do these Coroline sheets compare to the old Asbestos/Cement stuff? (In terms of waterproofing etc)

Sponsored Links
The new ones are better than the old asbest ones, don't crack and are much safer to work with. The old are ones are kind of fragile with age.

If your doing this work yourself, make sure you wear the dust mask, asbestos sheets aren't the best to work with. I would also wear gloves

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back