Corsa 1994 temp gauge

mcv

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
The temp guage on a 1994 corsa 1.2 i have barely moves. Only gets near the 90 mark when been for a run then left to sit an idle for 10 minutes.
Noticed too that with the cold weather, when driving on the motorways, with the heater turned up full, the air is not as hot as when drving slower like around town etc.
Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
I believe you take it out and drop it in a bowl of "boiling hot" water, you will then see it open

Sponsored Links
Or if the top hose heats up real quick you could be running without a stat as i found to my horror on a car i purchased a few years ago :eek: Or, i know its a long shot, the water temp sensor may be knackered and sending a wrong reading to the guage plus you're heater matrix may be partially blocked, have a feel of the flow and return water hoses as they enter the bulhead in the engine bay, i did say its a long shot ;) Good luck.

mcv, the symptoms you describe suggest to me that your thermostat is not working. It is stuck open and the engine coolant is circulating via the radiator at all times.

When idling or in slow traffic the thermostat would normally be open to enable maximum cooling.

When on the motorway the air forced through the rad takes heat from the coolant much more efficiently. Normally the thermostat would close, fully or partially to preserve coolant heat. Yours doesn't. Similarly when starting from cold the cooling system is operating on maximum straight away.

A thermostat is not normally expensive. If you are going to the trouble of taking it out (I suggest you should) stick a new one in. If the coolant hasn't been changed within the last 2 years change that while you are about it.

Enjoy.

"Noticed too that with the cold weather, when driving on the motorways, with the heater turned up full, the air is not as hot as when drving slower like around town etc."
You've pretty much answered your own question.
If you do take the stat out, it might have a temp stamped on it, usually 92°. Ask your Vauxhall dealer because some Vauxhall's have a choice of stats.
If you leave it idling for 10 to 15 minutes the electric fan should come on, if it does I think you'll find that it's heating up ok.
I'd tend not to worry too much unless it was getting too hot.

yep the thermostat was at fault. was needing timing belt an that any way so done too.

cheers

Sponsored Links
Back