Corsa battery problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Need help with this one please.

My sons fanbelt snapped on his Corsa. The battery and handbrake light came on but he did nothing about it. The next day the battery died. We fitted a new fanbelt and recharged the battery. We turned the electrics on and the engine light flashed. After trying the lights, wipers and heaters, the engine light stopped flashing and we managed to start the engine. Turned the ignition off, removed the keys but the battery light stayed on. Started the engine again and the battery light went off. But came on when the ignition was off. He managed to drive it home, left it for an hour and went to check the battery. It was flat again. We charged the battery again but the battery light stays on, but only when the ignition is off.

Anyone have any ideas? We need help.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Possibly a dodgy alternator.
Seems odd that the handbrake light came on, have you checked the brake fluid level in the resevoir?
Other than that, check around for damage to any cables etc.

I was thinking alternator. Didn't think about the brake fluid levels. I'll check that when I get under and fit a new alternator.

I'll let you know the outcome

cheers.

I'm not sure about Corsa's, but on quite a lot of cars the handbrake lamp quite often doubles up as a brake problem indicator - it should tell you in the owners manual if this is the case.

Sponsored Links
Sounds to me like one of the diodes on the bridge rectifier have gone.

If you disconnect the battery and put a meter in series with the alternator to the batter (reading amperage) you will probably get a reading (whereas you shouldn't). That's why the light is on in reverse of what it should be.
You can get an alternator for peanuts these days.

Hi all.

Just swapped out the alternator for a new one and all is well.

No lights on when they shouldn't be or off when they should.

Thanks for the help.

Hi all. Need help with this one please.

My sons fanbelt snapped on his Corsa. The battery and handbrake light came on but he did nothing about it. The next day the battery died. We fitted a new fanbelt and recharged the battery. We turned the electrics on and the engine light flashed. After trying the lights, wipers and heaters, the engine light stopped flashing and we managed to start the engine. Turned the ignition off, removed the keys but the battery light stayed on. Started the engine again and the battery light went off. But came on when the ignition was off. He managed to drive it home, left it for an hour and went to check the battery. It was flat again. We charged the battery again but the battery light stays on, but only when the ignition is off.

Anyone have any ideas? We need help.

thanks
I would say with almost certainty that the alternator diode pack has failed,
the battery is discharging it'self through the alternator.
Wotan

Back