Corsa D Clutch slave cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just bought my daughter a belated 21st birthday pressie, 08 reg, 1.4 Corsa D. I've let Vauxhall service it, as it has a full Vauxhall service history. They've advised on 3 things, O/S headlamp going opaque, front brake pads down to 3mm and clutch slave cylinder is weeping slightly.

Headlamp will probably clean up, brakes I can do, but Slave cylinder, they say needs clutch and daul mass flywheel replacing at the same time, and are quoting £750 with pattern parts. Can understand the cylinder weeping but would this affect the clutch? Car drives ok otherwise.

Sponsored Links
I'd guess and say that the garage can see hydraulic fluid around the bell housing, hence the suspicion that the fluid could be heading for the clutch as well......the slave cylinder living inside the housing.
There's so much work involved in changing the slave cylinder that its usual to do the clutch and DMF at the same time :eek:
Best ascertain how severe the leak is, really - it'll have to be a big one to get on the clutch friction plate!
John :)

Thanks John. They raised it as an advisory on the service, 'dampness noted around gearbox area, suspected leak on clutch slave cylinder'. Think the quote was £1050ish for genuine parts, £750 if pattern parts. Might have to let it develop.

Annoyingly I bought a warranty with the car, but the dealer 'forgot' to register it, (as well as 'forgot to send the V5 off), so when I chased him, he had to restart it from the 2nd July. Can't make a claim in the first 30 days, and it doesn't cover wear and tear past 10 years/100000 miles, whichever comes first. Car has done 77k, but was registered on 18th July 2008..... I've emailed them to cancel and ask for my money back.

Hmmm I think I'd be having a quiet word with the dealer.....:(
I don't know how far you'll get as the clutch itself is a wear and tear item and therefore has no cover after the first 30 days but the slave cylinder may well be.
Anyway - carefully mark the fluid reservoir (it may share one with the brake - I don't know) - and see if the level drops. The dampness could be one of three things, although the slave cylinder is the most likely, the other two being the crankshaft oil seal and the gearbox input oil seal seeping. I'd be inclined to clean the area well and observe over the coming weeks.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Irrespective of any warranty purchased with the car, you still have your statutory rights under consumer legislation so I'd be looking to the dealer to repair the car. Or take the car back and give you a refund.

My problem is going to be John, that the warranty now doesn't cover the car until the end of the month, by which time it'll be over 10 years old, so wont cover anything! Basically I think all we'll get is breakdown cover after the 1oth anniversary of registration, which we have anyway. I will keep an eye on the fluid level, suspect you are right, it does only appear to have one reservoir.

Dave, The invoice for the vehicle states 'The vehicle is sold with a12 month warranty plan. The dealer have paid the warranty company to provide 12 months warranty. As we have paid this amount there is no outstanding warranty with ourselves. By signing this you agree to our terms and conditions'.

Not sure if he will use this to wriggle out of any claim, as the defect isn't obvious I suspect unless you go underneath the car. I'm annoyed more because had he put the warranty through when I first bought the car, I could have made a claim by now as would be well after the 30days/1000mile window before you can make a claim, and still within the 10 years. Issue is its my daughters car, she absolutely loves it and is unlikely to speak to me again in a hurry if I take it back! Meanwhile, she needs transport....

I don't think the dealer can wriggle out of his obligations under statute even if he has sold you a warranty.

If the CSC's leaking it's pain to replace. If the DMF's away, it'll sound like a bag of nails rattling around in bell housing when you press down on clutch pedal. Clutch pedal will become spongy if it's running low on fluid. If your fluid reservoir is shared with the braking system, reservoir is designed to starve the clutch of fluid before the braking system so clutch will give up before you lose braking. Just done the DMF / Clutch on my Astra 1.9cdti, LuK clutch kit was 400 and it was 450 for the labour so 750's about average quote.

Sponsored Links
Back