corsa drive belt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
can anyone tell me how to adjust the alternator drive belt on a 54 reg vauxhall corsa 1.3CDTI. It is out of warranty and is making a noise which I think is coming from the alternator.I have been told that these are common problems with corsas, and want to remove the belt to see if the noise stops. It is a case of eliminate sources of the noise to locate it
thanks

Sponsored Links
get a haynes manual it will tell you, but easies way to check if your belts are loose is to try twisting them if you can twist the belt (in situ) more than about 90deg (a quarter turn along its length) then it needs tightning - easiest way is to grab the belt in the middle (between pullys) and twist it, as if you were trying to turn it upside down.
does the noise go away when the car is a bit warmer?

It only appears 5 minutes after starting and I wanted to remove the belt to see if it goes away when the alternator isn't running

never done one so cant help on the adjustment side but some alternators can be damaged by running unloaded so be carefull

Sponsored Links
does it go away after starting or stay all the time, could also be the tensioned (a pully that holds the belt tight) bearings, a squirt of wd40 would cure that, squirt at the middle of the pulleys, try not to get any on ur belts though

thanks tried Wd40 on tha alternator but not the tensioner bearing the noise is only there when idling or labouring the engine but seems to be from the alternator area

Back