Corsa FAULT No power and cuts out??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I just purchased a new 07 plate 1.2 litre SXI Corsa and Im loving it but it does not have any power. When I try to speed up the rev counter shoots up but I dont get any speed.

The car recently started to cut out on me. I had a look and found out that it was overheating because it had no water. I replaced the water but it ran out of water again after a few days. I took it to a car mechanic who did a diagnostics check. He said something like the exhaust sensor is faulty (cant remember what it was called but it apparently decides how much oxygen and petrol to mix). I changed this but I still have the same problem. I took it to somebody else and that mechanic said that it needs a new catalytic converter but I want to be sure before I spend any more on it.

What do you guys think could be wrong?

Sponsored Links
Seems like you have brought a pig in a poke, if revs increase without any increase in road speed, then the clutch is slipping.

Wotan

The clutch does feel like it is is about to go but why would this affect the power since I don't have power even when I am not using the clutch?? (be patient with me I don't know much about cars)

Given that it had no water in it and the water that you put in ran out shortly afterwards my guess is the head gasket is gone too.

Sponsored Links
What's the mileage on it? Have you checked the oil filler cap for any white(ish) gunk (like mayonnaise) inside or on the cap? This would indicate a gasket issue.
From what you have described, none of the issues the mechanics have pointed to would cause the problems you are having.
1st reply about clutch slipping wound answer the high revs with no load and a gasket issue would explain the water vanishing (although you may just have a leak).
But o2 (or Lambda) sensor wouldn't cause it to rev high in my experience (although a dodgy Idle Control Valve might).
Did the garage mechanics supply you with any fault codes from the diagnostic reads?

What's the mileage on it? Have you checked the oil filler cap for any white(ish) gunk (like mayonnaise) inside or on the cap? This would indicate a gasket issue.
From what you have described, none of the issues the mechanics have pointed to would cause the problems you are having.
1st reply about clutch slipping wound answer the high revs with no load and a gasket issue would explain the water vanishing (although you may just have a leak).
But o2 (or Lambda) sensor wouldn't cause it to rev high in my experience (although a dodgy Idle Control Valve might).
Did the garage mechanics supply you with any fault codes from the diagnostic reads?

Thank you for the reply, I have checked and their is no leak, how would I check the gasket or the control valve. Also roughly how much are you looking at for a new clutch?

As above, if you check under the oil filler cap for any white gunk that's a good way to check if the gasket has gone, if it's clean or a little oily then that's generally fine (although not 100% conclusive) if you wanted to be absolutely sure then IIRC a garage can run a test for emission gases in the water.
ICV, you can just take that off and clean it with carb cleaner and re-fit that usually works on both of my Astras.
Clutch, for a 1.2 then I would expect a (supply only) to be a round £60 and for supply and fit no more than £260.
Did the garage give you the fault codes? This would be a good place to start to rule things in/out.

it may be poss that somone may have messed with the clutch cable and taken to much play out of it. is there anyone who dislikes you at all? it is such an easy alteration to make even with the bonnet shut. in the night, in the dark with no tools. i don't want you to be paranoid but this is also possible with the water. years ago a freind of mine was the victim of sugar in the petrol tank and varios other bad things. have a look (sneeky at night) and see if it is being tampered with befor they mess with your brakes! i hope for your sake this is not the case but it is one possibility. :idea:

could still be done with the minimum of tools

Could be, I agree. However to disable a hydraulic clutch you would need to disconnect or release the feed pipe to top of the bell housing. You would certainly notice this as the pedal would now just be dropping to the floor with minimal effort (well practically none) so you would know straight away that something wasn't right. If the pedal feels right then it's not this.
The most likely cause here is simply that the clutch is on it's way out coupled with another, more serious issue, causing the coolant to disappear.

Rash

Where did you get the car from? If it's a garage take it back and make a noise until they fix it. If it's a private sale then tough I'm afraid.

Rash

Where did you get the car from? If it's a garage take it back and make a noise until they fix it. If it's a private sale then tough I'm afraid.

I purchased it from an auction and therefore cannot return it:(

Sponsored Links
Back