Cost of cable for connecting to grid over distance of 1 km?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help me on what wire / cable I would need to connect a residential building plot to the electrical network where the distance from the grid to the plot is about 1 KM?

The local energy company have quoted about £40k for running a cable overhead from the network to the plot, but will not break down that figure between the cable cost and the poles etc.

Their quote included the following spec :

230v
18kVA
50 hertz
Single phase
2 wire

I am looking at the alternative of laying underground, digging the trench myself and am trying to work out whether that would be cheaper.

The guy I spoke to at the local energy company mentioned that in an underground set up the cable would be HV with a pole mounted transformer as the on plot point of connection. And that the cable would be "95." He declined to give any more detail at this stage re the cable specification.

At the moment I don't own the land and have not agreed a price, so have little standing. What I am trying to do is get a back of an envelope idea of the cost of an alternative to the quote from the local energy supplier, so I can work out whether the plot has any potential at all.

I have identified what I think may be the appropriate cable :

BS7870 Mains, Single core, Aluminium conductors, XLPE, CWS, MDPE, 33000v 70mm - 630mm
Fixed Wiring and Mains Cables - Round stranded compacted aluminium conductor, inner semi-conductive layer XLPE insulated, outer semi-conductive layer, semi-conductive swelling tape insulation screen, copper wire and tape metallic screen (35mm2), polyester tape/water blocking swelling tape seperator, extruded black MDPE outer sheath. 33000 Volts grade to BS7870, IEC 60502-2.

In a 95MM2 conductor size?

Link here :http://www.clevelandcable.com/products.asp?id=3&step=1&catid=33

All advice gratefully received. I was told that there may be a DNO engineer on this forum?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the input.

What is envisaged is a HV supply which would the be stepped down ( if that is the right phrase ) by the transformer at the boundary of the building plot.

Hence the spec of the cable that I think may be appropriate, as mentioned in my first post - 33000 Volts.

Sponsored Links
To be quite honest I dont think that price is too bad?

Seeing as they charge around £500-1000 just to move a head a few metres.

Cleveland Cable have today quoted £7 per metre for the cable I mentioned in my original post.

Assuming that I would need two cables ( am I right in that ? ) would mean £14k in total for the wire.

Assuming that the one I have identified is appropriate.

Digging the trench will not be cheap but still...........

The local energy supplier reckons the cost of installing the overhead lines to be 40k by comparison.

Hi Holmslaw,

Well i'll check again with Cleveland but that was the price they gave me this afternoon, quoted against their specific catologue number, and having checked that they had it in stock.

If I ordered it today they could deliver by Monday.

Even if you purchased the cable, paid the land owners, dug the trench (can't remember how deep it needs to be for 33kv), laid the cable, backfilled over the cable with sand, hep taped etc I still doubt that the DNO would connect to it for liability reasons.

To be honest I am surprised too, but currently they are saying that providing the trench is dud in accordance with their specs, ie 1000 mm deep, and they inspect the cable in the trench, see the sand bed , taping etc, they will connect.

Seems too good to be true?

To be honest I am surprised too, but currently they are saying that providing the trench is dud in accordance with their specs, ie 1000 mm deep, and they inspect the cable in the trench, see the sand bed , taping etc, they will connect.

Seems too good to be true?

I'm thinking more along the lines of an expensive mistake to make!
You need it all in writing and you need to know exactly what you'll be getting for the money - is the transformer included in the cost? Labour costs for the connection etc? Wayleave?

I think the best advice you have received is to go with the quote you've been provided. I put money on you not being able to lay an underground service cheaper than the £40k you've already been quoted by the DNO for overhead, and it'll sure as hell be a lot more hassle for you to go it alone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back