Cost of extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I am looking for some advise to find out the cost of extension. I am looking to carry out following extension to a detached property:

a) Build pitched roof over the existing flat roof on a double garage (16'6" x 16' approx)
b) convert part of the garage to a family room - provide a door from the existing study
c) build single story extension on top of the study to extend one of the existing bedroom to provide en-suite and dressing area.

Would appreciate if I could get rough estimate of how much above work would cost.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
appologies, forgot to mention the size of the study - it is 9'4" x 8'7".

Sponsored Links
Between £5 & £500000

Mr. W.

Very funny Mr Dubya
Perhaps but without knowing exactly what you propose to do who can give even an estimate within 50k ?

Try working out the total squ meterage and multiply by £1000 and you will be somewhere within about 20k of the figure give or take 10k..

I thought I had provided enough information but here I am again. I have also included the existing Floor Plan

View media item 29064
The double garage and the study have flat roof.
What I would like to do is

1) changed the flat roof over garage to a pitched roof (the size of garage is 16' x 16' or 5.4m x 5.4m)
2) convert half of the garage to a family room (16' x 8' or 5.4m x 2.7m). Provide a door to study and a window each to the front and rear of the new room.
3) extend bedroom no 3 over the study (9'4" x 8'7" or 3.1m x 2.9m) to provide en-suite and dressing area

I would be very helpful if someone could provide some estimates of how much this is going to cost.

Many thanks

Would appreciate if I could get rough estimate of how much above work would cost.

You have already been provided with a rough estimate... £1000 per sq.m, which is for new build elements and not necessarily internal alterations.

What's wrong in obtaining a few quotes from local contractors? At least that way, they'd be able to visit the property to get a feel for it and any other factors that may influence the price (e.g. drainage, foundations, etc...).

Also bear in mind the planning and building control implications associated with such works and so professional fee's could fluctuate (e.g. condition on the original planning approval preventing converting part of the garage to habitable accommodation).

What sort of location is the £1000 a square metre quote from? I imagine its very different in London compared to say Dundee?

What sort of location is the £1000 a square metre quote from? I imagine its very different in London compared to say Dundee?
You can have two similar sized extensions being built in the same with town with huge variations in cost!

£1000 P/M is simply a rough guide.

Why don't you just get some local builders to give you a quote?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back