2 storey extension cost

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Looking for a bit of advice, but I take the plunge.

I am looking to extend the side of my semi-detached house to accomodate 2 more rooms (1 decent size, 1 box room/study). Size would approx be 12m in length and around 2.5m width at the front (old garage) and about 2m at the rear (stepped behind garage)

I only want to get the shell and roof built, as internals such as flooring joists, plastering, plumbing (only radiators), electrics can be done by myself.

What sort of cost am I looking at for someone to dig the footings, and build up to roof height and put the roof to match existing? All materials I would source myself

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Anything from £750 - £1300 per m2 per floor

So at a guess 60k for a finished shell inc materials

Hi all

Looking for a bit of advice, before I take the plunge.

I am looking to extend the side of my semi-detached house to accomodate 2 more rooms (1 decent size, 1 box room/study). Size would approx be 8m in length and around 2.5m width at the front (old garage) and about 2m at the rear (stepped behind garage)

I only want to get the shell and roof built, as internals such as flooring joists, plastering, plumbing (only radiators), electrics can be done by myself.

What sort of cost am I looking at for someone to dig the footings, and build up to roof height and put the roof to match existing? All materials I would source myself

Thanks in advance

:eek: £60k isnt that too steep?
He only wants the shell erected.

Sponsored Links
:eek: £60k isnt that too steep?
He only wants the shell erected.

it is indeed

finally managed to speak to a builder i know, he has given me a rough cost of £12k for labour, but all depends on drawings and what bco stipulates. Cost rising to around £16k for strip entire roof and re-lay and add steels for new loft floor

just received the following quote for an architect. Does did look ok? Wihat is the £305 fee for, and will it be required?
---------------------------------------------------------------------

From the information provided to us, it is proposed to make alterations to the existing building, including extensions.
After a closer look at your enquiry, the fees for providing the services relating to your proposal are as follow:
Carry out a measurement survey of the existing site and buildings to prepare survey drawings. £ 85.00 +VAT
Draw up an outline scheme based upon Clients requirements. Develop outline design to clients approval. £ 125.00+VAT
Prepare all drawings and documentation for submission under the Town & Country Planning Act, Submitting and monitoring planning application on behalf of client and liasing with Local Authority Planning Department. £ 135.00+VAT
£ 345.00 +VAT
If or when required
Prepare detailed design and submission of drawings and documents under the Building regulations, including information provided by other consultants as appropriate, liase with building control as necessary and provide any additional information as may be requested by the Local Authority. £305.00+VAT
Structural Calculations are not included within the scope of our charge as described above. However these can be obtained through us at cost plus 6% admin charge.
Portal Planning and Design Ltd can not guarantee that planning permission will be granted although we would use our best endevours to achieve approval.
For your information and guidance, there are additonal costs to which our charges do not include,
Planning application fees payable to the LA £150.00
Building Regulation fees payable to the LA (depending on building Cost) approx£300 to 850
Location plans approx £40 inc VAT
(these figures for LA charges are subject to periodic increases and are for guidance only. we will request cheques to the LA for their application fees as the need arises)

That's the cost to have them prepare the building regs drawings. Bear in mind you generally get what you pay for.

Depends on how good the people doing the work are, if they know the regs a Notice is fine, if they're not too sure then drawings are probably a good idea. Not all builders or contractors do know the regs despite what they may say. Having said that I doubt Building regs drawings for £305 will be much more than some generic notes. Also the regs drawings can be used to form a contract between owner and contractor.

Depends on how good the people doing the work are, if they know the regs a Notice is fine, if they're not too sure then drawings are probably a good idea. Not all builders or contractors do know the regs despite what they may say. Having said that I doubt Building regs drawings for £305 will be much more than some generic notes. Also the regs drawings can be used to form a contract between owner and contractor.

so without them drawings, I would in affect be submiited a building notice only and not full plans submission?

some of the extension will be done diy, and then using different tradesmen to do the various work, in order to keep costs down

Yep. You don't need to submit drawings at all (unless some structural input is required). Just need to know your stuff and brush up on your project managment skills.

Yep. You don't need to submit drawings at all (unless some structural input is required). Just need to know your stuff and brush up on your project managment skills.

well structual input will be required, as while the side of the roof will be off, I thought it would be a good idea to get some steel beams in for a loft conversion that I will do at my own pace, once its water tight

just spoken to architect, his formal reply
-------
They are for the buildings regulations approval, your proposal will need these drawing if planning permission is granted, we separate the cost on our quotes as sometimes clients are not quite ready to start or if planning is not granted or it has to change design we are only doing them once. Just makes things more flexible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back