2 storey extension - time to build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

As some may have read other posts of mine, I am thinking about converting my garage to a room, and extending on top of it. Size will be approx 10m x 2.5m.

As a rough guide, how long would it take a crew of 3 to do the following:

- dig the footings
- pour the concrete
- lay the engineers to dpc
- put down hardcore for floor, dpc, insulate and concrete
- build walls up to wallplate in blocks (both skins)
- extend roof over (changing from hip to gable end)

I dont know if I missed any main steps out, but I trying to work out how long it would take to get a shell built and get it water tight

thanks

any advice/info would be great

Sponsored Links
6 weeks.

A lot will depend upon whether you have one of those builders that takes a cut from the job then disappears for a while only to return sporadically for a day or two.

6 weeks.

A lot will depend upon whether you have one of those builders that takes a cut from the job then disappears for a while only to return sporadically for a day or two.

Cheers noseall

Just what I need to hear. Builder I have in mind will stick on the job the job until it completed, and do as much as he can even in adverse weather

Just trying to get some more info on the boundary wall, but still want to get a few other quotes.

You still in the midlands?

Sponsored Links
Right, just had an architect over that my mate used on his house. Has giveN me a price of £1000 for plans/calcs ontop of labc costs. No fees for alterations required from council.

Given the time of year, I it takes 10-12weeks for approval, will I be ok in starting the job in sept/October to build the shell this year?

Given the time of year, I it takes 10-12weeks for approval, will I be ok in starting the job in sept/October to build the shell this year?
In theory yes.
In reality probably not, since bad weather and other end of year delays will inevitably occur.

Given the time of year, I it takes 10-12weeks for approval

Who told you that.

Planning have eight weeks any time of year and [Birmingham planning ]will give you the nod in about 5 weeks and formally approve in the 7th week if all is well.

Once your designer knows that the planners are happy he can submit the b/regs drawings and they will approve within two weeks normally

Given the time of year, I it takes 10-12weeks for approval

Who told you that.

Planning have eight weeks any time of year and [Birmingham planning ]will give you the nod in about 5 weeks and formally approve in the 7th week if all is well.

Once your designer knows that the planners are happy he can submit the b/regs drawings and they will approve within two weeks normally

In that time frame, I allowed time for architect to survey, draw up plans and agree with me and then submit, along with the time the council will take

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back