cost of single storey extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of extending the rear of my 1930's semi detached home. The extension will be ground floor only, 10 feet deep and 20 feet wide with a flat roof. I will pay someone to dig out and fill the trenches, plaster and do the flat roof, but I will do the rest myself. How much will the basic structure cost? I'm guessing £20K???

Sponsored Links
You would get a basic shell built, of that size, (no windows etc) for aboot £12k.

It's difficult to understand what you want pricing?

Thanks Noseall, my reason for asking was to see whether I could get my money back on the increase in value on the house and the answer is yes if I do the work and no if I paid to have it all done

Sponsored Links
I am building a 3x5m rear extension on a similar property, Its has a pitched roof with three rooflites, So far I have the building up and watertight and the insulation finished in the roof and the floor and have knocked through. i used a digger with driver for the foundations and a mate to help with labour and complete blockwork. All in all paid about 10 days work.
Also had a guy in to do the roofing.
Still got rendering to do on outside.
To date Ive spent 11k, I hope to finish the entire project including a kitchen and appliances and all finishes at 20k and I am not far off this at present.

I am not a builder but an average DIY'er, Im sure it could have been done cheaper but sometimes If I dont know what to do or where to get things at the best price I may pay more than a builder would, Also have to consider time as spending time shopping means no building. Its not an easy job and although I enjoy it it can be very frustrating at times, If I had the money I would get someone in to finish it for me everytime.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back