Cost of Rebuilding?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I am supposed to give my Insurance Company the cost of re-building my one bedroom Bungalow. How can I find this out? Or is there anyone on this site who could help? I know the purchase price is different to the cost of rebuilding but as a guide it was £165k. Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
How long since you bought the house, and did you have a survey done?

Every home report I've seen has a rebuild price. I don't know how things work in England?

Most insurance companies or quote comparison sites will do this for you automatically based on your address/other info.

Sounds like you need a better insurer if they can’t do such basic tasks for you - so go get a quote from go compare or similar site, you’ll get the info you want anyway and may find a better price.

Sponsored Links
As posted most comparison sites and insurers have "Cut Down" versions of the BCIS estimator.

It could be that the construction of the property is [as called by insurers] Non-Standard, that is not bricks / stone / blocks whatever also unususl internal features will prompt the Insurer to ask the Insured to get a re-build cost.

IMPORTANT ! if you submit a low re-build cost and you somewhere down the line have to make a claim for a [so called, Total loss] where a gas leak blows the house away, and you have a low re-build cost then all the insurer has to do is to hand you cash to the value of the declared re-build value you provided.

OK does not happen too often but i have been involved in a load of claims where the re-build value is up to and greater than 50% of the actual re-build cost

In such cases the insurer will simply send out a cash settlement and it is up to the Insured to sort things out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back