Rebuild costs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at getting new house and contents insurance but I have no idea what to enter for "rebuild cost". The house is a 2 bed victorian semi worth around 90-100 K

Can anyone help?

Sponsored Links
If the insurance company is asking you to work this out for yourself, you could try using the BCIS site which looks reputable.

The cost of rebuilding is not directly related to the market value, but to the total floor area, costs of demolition, costs relating to neighbouring properties, etc.

I am a Victorian speculative builder, currently clad in top-hat, tailcoat and sporting a waxed moustache.

I would charge as much as £30 7shillings and thruppence to erect the dwelling you have just described

(twirls moustache and sneers at the poor)

:)

or you could just use th RICS calcs pending the area you live etc demolition costs? rebuild cost between £750-£1000 per square metre Living area,,,,

Sponsored Links
My current insurance is covered to £500.000. Surely that is enough? Some policy's offer unlimited.

What a headache having to work out the area of your property. :rolleyes:

i would say 1/2 mil is enough to rebuild most houses,,, unless you live in some mansion of course? easy working out the area of your house.... width x length,,, overall dont go measuring all the crooks and crannys,, this will give you the floor area,,

half a million pounds would be enough to re-build a small castle!

lets not forget that the land it sits on and (possibly) all the foundations are already in place.

Don't forget dayworks and extras, and allowing for when the woman wants the kitchen units rearranged right after you've fitted them and the external door and internal partition moving over 50mm so the toilet roll holder will fit ..... so allow £550,000

I have measured the outside length of my house and the outside width which gives me 38ft 5 " X 13 ft. Upstairs is not as long as downstairs so I assume I multiply the outside measurements ? The reason I ask is that the calculator isn't very clear on which measurements are used, upstairs or down.

You need to work out the total m2 of both floors. The calculator that you will get on is the basic one won't include the drains or garden walls so you will have to add them on to the price.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back