cost of replacing flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I really need some advice.
The flat roof on the extension of my house(over two rooms) has had many repairs and needs replacing.
I have had a quote of £3250 to strip off existing felt and boards, supply and fit new 3/4 ply boards and new fibreglass roofing system and to check the correct level of insulation. This includes all labour and materials.
Does this seem reasonable?
Thank you in advance.
Tivvy

Sponsored Links
What size is it :?:

you should get 3 estimates to give you a better idea.

As your taking off the old roof and insulating you need to go through building regs,If its a cold roof at the moment eg insulation between rafters all insulation should be removed and a warm roof constructed,this gives you the correct u values but the bdc should tell you this and confirm what they want as they all differ slightly.As for price you dont give a size and this can vary

Hi
Thank you for the replies. I have now found out that it is 49sq metres.
I have had two more quotes, one for GRP overboarding the existing roof at £3332 and one for Firestone EPDM also overboarding the existing roof at £3267.
So the costs are roughly the same but I could now do with some advice as to which is the best roofing material to use those listed above or the fibreglass from the first quote as I really do not have much idea.
Thank you in advance
Tivvy

Sponsored Links
Your first quote which included striping off the old roof looks the best. As the other two are re-roofs the quotes are not like for like.

Total strip would be the best value for money to be honest.

Maybe go back to the EPDM quote and see if they can beat any other quote you've had?? I think the EPDM company should be able to beat the GRP on price any day..........

something wrong or im missing something a insulated roof from joists up at 3250 and 49 sqm at £65 per sq m,from what i know and it may not be alot thats whats charged for a non insulated roof by a company using a non approved system eg no bba acreditation

I've had quotes for £3000 for 16sq meters of flat roof. That includes a new deck. 100mm of celotex in between the joists. EPDM and new fascias and soffits. Personally I think this is a rip off for this size of roof so I'm still looking.

Thats £187.50 per sq meter meaning the same roofing contractor would have quoted you over £9000 in theory.

Zinc would cost around £5000 for strip, ply deck, 100mm insulation, fascia, soffits, gutter and down pipes.

There is also a choice of colour with zinc.

I would give a lifetime guarantee with this product.

Zinc would cost around £5000 for strip, ply deck, 100mm insulation, fascia, soffits, gutter and down pipes.

Is that for the 16 sq meters from my post? Really interesting to get a idea on the price of Zinc though.

My lifetime :?: I`m 56 now and probably will have ours done in 5-7 years Seriously tho, I`m interested in the concept and presume you will come down to Sussex, as the OP is here too. Is there a £ per metre I could get a rough idea from now, then start saving ;)

I will work anywhere in the world so Sussex seems local to me!! :LOL:

Zinc prices fluctuate weekly so it's hard to put an exact figure on it but a rough idea would be around £50 per sq m supply and fit.
However the more complex shape, pitch, number of roof lights, penetrations etc etc could increase the price dramatically.

But the bigger the roof the better deal I can do..................

I also prefer to do the build up to make sure it's at the right standard.

Basically I'll give you whatever guarantee you want.......happy?

Zeberdee, zinc is joined in sheets but with 25mm upstands so water doesn't sit on the joints. Gutters are soldered together so cannot leak. It's a method that's been used for hundreds of years and works very well if done correctly. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back