Cost of replacing old fashioned valves for themostatic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I just received a quote to replace 4 old style valves for thermostatic valves. I have a leaking valve so I thought whilst doing that I'll ask the plumber to quote to replace 3 others. Total quote was for £300 which I thought rather steep, even for Oxfordshire!! Would you say this was a fair price or would you say this is an easy job to do by a DIYer?

I have had a few plumbing disasters when last year I had an air blockage which caused the pump to fail. :(

Sponsored Links
Many DIYers do manage to replace TRVs but of course some get into difficulties and end up having to call an engineer.

I charge about £35 each to supply and fit a Drayton TRV4, £15 for a lockshield and a single £60 for draining and refilling plus £20 for inhibitor on an OV system or £30 on a pressurised system if required. Of course that's in my local area and excluding any parking costs.

Tony

Thanks for your costings which you think about as you are in London are reasonable since the valve kit could cost you £20 each. Your pricing is cheaper than mine.

I think they are reasonable but some charge less and others charge more!

Tony

Sponsored Links
It's a long walk to Oxfordshire tony :D

Sorry for late reply on this topic.

I appreciate that you have to change your valves because they are leaking. But in my opinion replacing them with TRV might not be the most reliable on a long term basis.

In my experience TRV's can be unreliable in service - either sticking open or closed.

I have just completed a project in my house where I replaced six radiators and I removed all TRV's and used standard valves.

I resized the radiators and replaced them with modern compact ones. The old rads were either too big for the room or in a couple of rooms they were too small.

I don't know how old your radiators are but nowadays new ones are quite cheap. Your plumber would be there anyway and the incremental extra labour cost might not be too much vs just changing valves.

I am in Oxfordshire too. The water quality is not great. Scale and sludge can build up in your system and TRV's , in my opinion, can be more bother than they are worth.

Regards

Ian

Sorry for late reply on this topic.

In my experience TRV's can be unreliable in service - either sticking open or closed.

I am in Oxfordshire too. The water quality is not great. Scale and sludge can build up in your system and TRV's , in my opinion, can be more bother than they are worth.

Regards

Ian

There are many different brands of TRVs.

Before you make yourself look silly by making a broad statement covering all brands why not tell us which ones you have experience of?

If TRVs stick then its normally due to dirt in the system and not the fault of quality TRVs like Drayton and Danfoss.

If you are in Oxfordshire why does your profile say Berkshire?

Tony

They were Drayton and Danfoss. Yes, you are correct sludge and rubbish in the system can make them stick and be problematic. I accept that this is not the fault of the valve.

I don't know why you are so interested in my location. But if you are interested, my post code is RG8 7SB, which is a Reading Berkshire post code - but we actually across the Thames in South Oxfordshire. Hope this satisfies your curiosity.

Regards

Ian

Because your profile lists you as Berkshire but you say you are in Oxfordshire.

Better to change your profile so you are shown to live where you say you are!

Dirt in your system is your problem and not quality valves!

I agree cheap ones like the Wickes will stick but the proper makes do not unless there is dirt.

I have never seen a sticking Drayton TRV 4 !

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back