Cost of swapping tyres

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. Just wondered if anyone knows roughly what a tyre/exhaust garage charges to take a tyre off a rim and put it on another. I'm trying to decide if it's better than filling and painting a rough wheel.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
I’d imagine it’ll be the same or slightly less than a puncture repair. Like a puncture repair, it’ll still need balancing and possibly a new valve.

The small local business that I always use, will do it in a quiet moment and I bung the fitter a tenner.

The time and effort of cleaning, wire brushing and refinishing an old wheel yourself is much greater. And best done after removing the tyre anyway

The small local business that I always use, will do it in a quiet moment and I bung the fitter a tenner.
So, they don’t charge for doing that and you just 'bung them a tenner' or is that on top of the price this charity, sorry, business, charge?

Sponsored Links
The business doesn't charge. They view it as a trivial job and a perk for the fitter if he was just sitting around.

I've only had it done a few times, two of them when I bought a used full-size spare because I don't like space-savers

They make their money out of selling tyres to locals like me who gave been regular customers for years.

They make their money out of selling tyres to locals like me who gave been regular customers for years.
I thought you regularly moved around the country? So you are now saying you have been local to them for years? Hmmm. Okaaaay…..

£10 at my local tyre centre.
That includes balancing which is essential.
Do not trust places that will simply swap tyres without balancing them.

Anything from £10 - £15 cash depending on who is in the office, always balanced with a new valve.

Blimey! I'm getting ripped-off! To remove a tyre, then replace the same tyre and re-balance the wheel, I don't think I'd get away with paying less than £20 anywhere.

Sponsored Links
Back