Costings for orangery re. build cost guides

oly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got to build regs full plans approval for a 31m2 single storey orangery (a 5500 x 4500 area plus a 3000 x 1600 return .

It has a lot of glass - a flat roof, a glass lantern, almost two glass walls and three decent opening windows on the longest wall. I'm using Express Bifold for all that, they've quoted me £15k for supply and fit.

The job requires propping and removing the corner (3000 x 3000) of an existing single story extension.

Apart from that it is basically two big brick/block pillars and a long wall where the conventional windows fit. 152 x 152 steels on three sides and 2 steels to hold up the old extension corner.

I'd like to get an idea an idea of what would be a fair builder's price. The costing guides list projects by 'standard, 'good' or 'excellent'. I only really need a standard finish (and I'll be doing painting and flooring myself). But all that glass, how do I account for it in a costing?

The lantern roof upstand and flashings obviously take a lot of extra time, and I'd like it finished using a single ply membrane like Sarnafil.

Using the cost guide, a 31m2 single storey building (South East) built to standard quality works out at £1,104/m2, £34,224 total (plus VAT), but it is going to be very high to pay that and then 15k for the glass on top!

I guess I'm trying to get a handle on how one costs the substitution of glass for all the brickwork in a conventional build, or perhaps someone has actual experience of the m2 costs of this type of structure?

Sponsored Links
Where in Kent ? I know a couple of guys who may go across from Sussex.

The only way to get it costed is to get accurate quotes. It won't be 34K + 15K though will it as within the generic 34K figure there is an allowance for the glass walls and rooflights that you will be doing in glass.

I'd guess you will be around £40Kish

Hope you're gonna get a decent set of Building regs drawings done as otherwise you could easily end up with a right bag of leaky spanners.

• Thanks
Reactions: oly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back