Approximate build cost

I'd like to see wau5 on tour. Comedy gold.

Are the dates on Ticketmaster yet?

Sponsored Links
And then after you've spent hundreds of hours of your own time finding and bidding, which you could have worked, and thousands of pounds on fuel picking up the stuff. Then hundreds of hours trying to make what you've got fit what you want. You'll end up with a finished project you wished you'd spent a bit more money and less of your time on.

You can build a house with zero material costs, you've just got to exchange your time for them. You could work in a shop and exchange your time for some bricks for example.
Or you could nick a brick every time you visit a site.

Some of you here have no sense of anything.
Obviously you are not going to get everything from there, or buy a pack of screws that way or other small cheap things which are not worth to waste your time. You are going to hunt for the most expensive things there only...
I will stick to what works for me, There is no point going in a shop and buying 1k worth of insulation when you can get the same thing for 200 by just buying it from someone who has some left overs. It takes barely any time to plan ahead a bit and see which things you need and just keep a look if something pops up..

I don't know why people are so defensive about the "proper " way to do things. Let people do what they can, sometimes it's a hobby as well as a way to do things cheaply.

Sponsored Links
I have been keeping my eye open on fleabay and scumtree - What I've been finding is that either the quantities of materials are low so it would mean spending a fortune on petrol and time touring around collecting odds and sods or people want damn near asking price for materials that look as if they've been sitting at the bottom of their garden for a year covered in algae with corners knocked off the blocks.

I do keep my eye open but nothing has really been of any real use in the last couple of months.

God knows how you built a house for £22k. I'd strongly suggest that not many could do my simple single storey kitchen extension for the £14k I've worked it out as. As an amateur with little cash and lots of time I have costed materials from a huge array of places trawling the net saving a few quid here and there that no builder could be bothered to do. Let alone the cost of their labour on top. Still recon it will go over that

Even God will be scratching his head.

What chances are there of a DIYer or self builder having the correct materials, in the required quantities at a suitable location for collection (as is normal) or even for delivery, at the time when you are looking or even over periods of months?

The £22k house would be a dream though. Keep on dreaming.

approx. 7-10k in materials +legal fees, if you fancy doing all the work yourself and are able to source the materials wisely.
approx. 7-10k in materials +legal fees, if you fancy doing all the work yourself and are able to source the materials wisely.
Absolute no chance materials being 7-10k. There's 2k in roof lanterns straight away. Being in the middle of your 7-10, that's leaving 6.5k. Piles AND a raft. And not any Mickey Mouse piles, 8mtrs down. Another grand in conc. another grand in steel mesh ect. It's starting to get tight is this build. Might have enough left for the windows and insulation.
Absolute guesser.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back