Approximate cost of building works

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am getting some building works done to my residential home in 3 areas of the house. Wanted to know an approximate bracket or best estimate I should allow in my budget for the following work to be done. I know its difficult to tell without seeing the rooms in question, but if someone would be able to provide an approximation, it would be greatly appreciated. I can provide further information if required. Currently, the lounge area has been finished to concrete slab level only (no insulation or screed). I am getting a separate gas safe engineer to run the copper pipes for water and heating / install new boiler etc at a suitable time which I have received a quote for.

kitchen floor area = 26.1m2 (9.1m x 2.9m)
lounge floor area = 26m2
hallway floor area = 3.5m2
----------------------
Total floor area = 55m2

- Dig out kitchen and hallway to depth of least 500mm and remove all waste
- Hardcore bed compacted at least 100mm, sand blinding for smooth base, 2000 gauge toughmax dpm, concrete slab minimum 150mm depth, 100mm celotex insulation, 100mm concrete screed minimum 75mm thickness
- Connect drainage from 1st floor ensuite to drainage under kitchen floor.
- Install extractor fan in plaster board ceiling of under stairs toilet, leading out to side of Bed 3 wall
- Put rockwool or celotex insulation between ceiling joists for kitchen / lounge / hallway
- Take down kitchen ceiling and replace with new plasterboard ceiling.
- Plasterboard lounge and Hallway ceiling area.
- New kitchen electrical sockets (including 40A cooker switch, new lighting wiring with switches, connect to main consumer unit.
- New Lounge and Hallway electrical sockets (new lighting wiring with switches, connect to main consumer unit)
- Install new spotlights / 2way switches
- Skim new Kitchen / Lounge ceiling.
- Fit cavity closers / boards around windows in Kitchen / Lounge / Hallway area
- Cement render kitchen walls over block/brick work and skim finish.
- Cement render and skim finish Lounge and Hallway.
- Lay tiles in Kitchen Area. Lay tiles in Hallway area.
- Fit tiles to window sills in Kitchen / Lounge / Hallway area.
- Fix 2 new wooden doorframes for entrances into kitchen area.
- Run 28mm gas pipe to new boiler location (5m away from existing gas main) and seal to allow new boiler installation.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
But the cost of kidney's varies, the first kidney I'd give up is considerably less valuable than my second.

Look at getting recommended local trades to price your job. None of us here have seen things like access, logistics, ceiling heights, ground conditions, vehicular access (skips, deliveries etc), expected finishes or condition of exiting etc.
An experienced local builder could run the whole job and price it as such.

Besides which, there is a lot of stuff to price there and no one is going to be bothered on a forum for free with zero gain at the end of it.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back