Could a house built in 1895 have a cavity wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

My end-terrace house was built in 1895 and so I assume it to have no cavity due to its age. However, in our dining room we removed the plaster down to the brick on the outside wall and noticed that the brick pattern is a regular pattern, not the alternating pattern typical with solid walls. Also, out next door neighbour recently got the front outside re-rendered and you could see the same pattern. Is it possible for houses of this age to have a cavity? How would you check? I would love to be able to insulate the cavity if one exists as our outside walls get very cold during winter.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
measure the wall thickness @ a door or window :idea:

My parents place was built around then and has a cavity, you can see into it at the coal hole in the cellar.

Sponsored Links
It could be a cavity wall. I've worked on quite a few Victorian houses with cavity walls. It depends where you live. In places like Porsmouth there were 1,000's built from 1860 on.
There were also 9 inch solid walls built in stretcher bond, so the bonding alone does not tell the whole story.

I live in Northern Ireland in an old port town. I measured at the windows at the front and rear externals walls and they are both a shade over 11 inches. The external is rendered too. Does this point more to having a cavity do you think? Maybe worth drilling a hole outside a couple inches to see if I hit a void?

Thanks for your replies!

That`ll be solid ;) 9 inch bricks plus a thick outside render / render and set inside

Is it possible for houses of this age to have a cavity? I would love to be able to insulate the cavity if one exists as our outside walls get very cold during winter.

I've just bought an end Victorian terrace house which has a Cavity wall. When the Surveyor did the survey on the house, he was over the moon to see one as they are so rare.

After I received the report, I rang the Surveyor and discussed the possibility of adding cavity wall insulation. He basically dissuaded me from adding it, due to the possibility of it creating hot and cold spots and therefore damp.

[quote="gwernybwch";p="2613856. When the Surveyor did the survey on the house, he was over the moon to see one .[/quote] :eek: Has he ever caught his B......s in a Rat Trap bond wall :mrgreen:. He`s probably the secret wall driller with a 2 inch diamond drill and a 18volt cordless SDS ;) Allegedly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back