Cavity tray for extra wide wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our house walls have a cavity formed by two leafs of lightweight block with an external facing of rough cut stone. A new extension with a flat roof is to be built out from such a wall. This requires a cavity tray to be inserted along the roof line but all the ready-made trays I see are designed for a single brick width plus typical cavity width. Our outer leaf is more like two brick widths - what would normally be done in this situation?

Sponsored Links
Stick a bit of dpc in.
I suppose it might work if it reached in far enough, at least to half way across the cavity to catch drips off of ties above. But then it would also need to slope down to the outside to drain out of a set of weep holes. A lead flashing is going in underneath so I guess this could be done with one wider strip of lead instead.

The outer wall is sandstone with big mortar joints and faces N.E. so it can get a good hammering with rain. I've seen a few damp patches in the attic on this end gable where dirty ties have bridged water over in exceptionally foul weather so I'm not prepared to take chances on this one.

call cavitytrays.com they are the originals with most of the answers.
doing new build youl have plenty of choice.

Sponsored Links
I suppose it might work if it reached in far enough, at least to half way across the cavity to catch drips off of ties above.
Stick some dpc along with the cavity tray, so your tray only covers the first outerskin then the dpc would sit under this and over the outer skin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back