blocking up external doorway: cavity tray height?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Another cavity tray question

I am blocking up an external doorway, brick with insulated cavity. Floor level and ground level are the same.
Since the cavity doesn't extend 225 below floor level, I guess I need a cavity tray and weep vents. What does BR have to say about cavity trays? can i use visqueen at 150 height in the outer leaf (forming the dpc), rising to the next course up in the inner leaf?
Can insulation sit in the cavity tray, and does the space under the tray remain empty and uninsulated?

And how should the dpc's interact with the walls on either side : it's a victorian house so no idea where the dpc is in the old walls

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If you are worried about driven rain penetration or otherwise, turn some plastic up and over the bottom course of bricks - internally and under the external (DPC) course.
If the lintel remains above and you have a sub-DPC trough (unlikely with a block-up) then I would not bother with a low level CT.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back