extension cavity tray

Sponsored Links
Bearing in mind the brickwork is in good order and there are 2 windows above, I wouldn't fit trays, even on my own house. I believe it's too disruptive, and serves no benefit.
I was going to make the point about water coming from weepholes myself.
Never seen it yet!
On a exposed gable end with poor brickwork above. Fitting them would be worthwhile.
The BC guys do seem to like them though, although it's not their money they're spending....
We have had a couple of similar jobs, one of which was a gable wall and bco were happy to apply 2no coats of Thompson water seal to the brickwork, instead of fitting trays, the brickwork and pointing was in good condition.
Sponsored Links
The majority of rain usually penetrates through the perps. This tends to be the weakest point as the joints are not always properly filled, especially when tip jointed on the face only.
It also depends on the exposure of the wall and what part of the country you live in. Coastal areas or places like the South West are more likely to suffer, where there is a lot of heavy, driving horizontal rainfall.
Rather than be robotic with 'should' and 'must', just do a quick risk assessment in your head of the likelihood of water getting down the cavity, in such quantities so as to cause a problem.

A surface applied repellent will do in most cases, but often no additional work will be fine. Only in directly exposed locations, with high risk, should the trouble of retrospectively inserting trays be considered
I may be stuck in my ways, but I also know that taking a row of bricks out of a wall and then fitting them back again with only 30% of the original mortar is generally poor practice.
Yes you are right of course, developers employ the finest brickys they can who can afford to take time and pride in their work and QA is their highest of their prioritys.
:LOL: they are still better than the 60`s builds though ;)
Strictly, you would need a cavity tray, but if the brickwork above is in good condition and well-pointed, it may not be necessary.
If a large part of the wall is occupied by the window frame, that would lessen the chance of any water ingress.
Your Inspector may have his own view.

Makes sense Tony.

Some building inspectors these days are human- and would go with you on this one .
Waterseal on brickwork between new roof and upper window would help.
If it worries you though- It really is no big deal to fit a stepped tray .
Half a day at best and a full day at worst .
I would charge £200 plus tray costs--job done- peace of mind .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links