Brickie responsibility for extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

What should I reasonably expect from a brickie for my 2-storey side extension and single storey living room to the rear? In addition to the obvious (laying bricks!), here’s my list that I’d appreciate sanity checking! :eek:

1. DPC
2. Wall ties
3. Cavity insulation
4. Cavity closures
5. Lintels
6. Universal beam
7. Padstones (for above)
8. Cavity trays (above u-beam which effectively ends new outer leaf of side extension at 1st floor level)
9. Cavity trays (above 1st floor lean to roof on external wall where below will become an internal wall)
10. Bedding of wallplate
11. Lateral restraint straps (for wallplate, anywhere else?)
12. Vertical DPC (where gable end now becomes internal wall; is this excessive?)
13. Joist hangers

:D My appreciation of brickies has gone up 100x after realizing how much more is involved with this trade!! :D

THanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
Price-work brickie: price agreed works out roughly to £500 per thousand bricks and £1.50 block. Pretty much everything in my list has been agreed in the price :p , but want to make sure at this important stage I don't miss anything..

thanks
Mike

on the two storey section, you may need lateral restraint straps across three floor joists depending on span.
also it can save a lot of work , if you can get the brickie to build in a piece of 4 inch drain pipe, where any extractors or tumble dryer vents are being installed.

Sponsored Links
also, screw the restraint straps to the wall plate instead of nailing just in case you need to jiggle them about. you may have to pitch a rafter or fix a joist right where the strap's fixed.

Price-work brickie: price agreed works out roughly to £500 per thousand bricks and £1.50 block.

I would like some of those rates! Its about £300-£340 per thou and £1 a block 4" rough here, and thats all in with everything else mentioned too!

One additional thing for the list:

Filling the cavity below ground level with concrete

I assume this is something the brickie does when at DPC level?

Thanks

yes. once the brickie has built up to dpc level, he will need to backfill the outside and stone and compact the inside.
this should only be carried out once the cavities have been filled with lean mix concrete, and the concrete set.
the cavity should be filled no higher than 225mm below dpc level. never fill all the way up to dpc!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back