Eaves detail.

13 Jan 2007
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Still pondering over my possible extension. What closes off the cavity between outer skins at eaves level where the wallplate meets the rafter? Is it a continuous cavity tray, slate or proprity closure? If so how are they wall tied through the cavity tray. Also are the two external walls, (brick and block) wall tied between the top of catnic lintel and bottom of wall plate? This may seem obvious to some but I am trying to get ``build wise'' before commiting to a builder.
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
is there a going to be pitched roof on the building in question?

if so the inner block wall and the outer brick work will finish at two different levels. the inner leaf finishing higher. we don't close off the cavity at this point but carry on the cavity insulation upwards so that it joins, eventually, with the loft insulation.

the window lintels would make closing off the cavity awkward at this point too.

the wall ties will be situated every other course of blocks until you reach the wall plate. if this means two courses from the top then so be it. for strength, you can fit a series of tie wires in the penultimate course if you wish, but do this on the wall plate sides only. if you have a gable end, keep the ties as every other course or else it will mess up the cavity insulation bond.
Sponsored Links
Willa said:
Still pondering over my possible extension. .... This may seem obvious to some but I am trying to get ``build wise'' before commiting to a builder.
Thanks in advance.

Your question has been answered

However, with regards to getting 'build wise' the problem with this is the old saying " A little knowledge is dangerous".

No disrespect, but there are lots of ways for a builder to do a particular job. If you get an answer here, and then your builder does something else, then you think he has done it wrong. Then you start doubting, then nitpicking, then the relationship goes downhill fast.

I asume you will either get some plans done, and the builder follows them, and the BCO checks the work. Or you employ a competent builder and do it under building notice.

Either way, if you are not sure that you trust the builder, then employ someone to manage the work.

I've come across lots of customers who have 'read something' in a book and think that they then can then tell me where I am going wrong. They are a right pain, and its not a good working relationship. All the goodwill goes out of the window - often with the customer following it. lol :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local