Question about joining extension to existing property

27 May 2004
Reaction score
United Kingdom
We are planning a 2 storey extension on the side of our house.

How will the brickwork of the new cavity wall be joined to the existing property ?

I assume there will have to be a veritcal DPC installed in the existing house wall ?
Sponsored Links
wall starters or key the bricks in.
I am in the process of having the brick work put up on my 2 storey extension at the moment.
I bought a load of wall starters for mine which consists of a strip of metal that bolts to the existing wall. L shaped brackets are then slid on to this and lay in the mortar of every third new course. My builder however doesnt like using these and is actually keying the bricks into the old brick work which is more work (not paying him any extra though)
wall starters are usually the preferred option due to speed and cost, but also many building control and engineers prefer them as they allow the two buildings to move at different rates, as opposed to toothing the brickwork in.

you wont need any vertical dpc once you are over dpc level if that makes sense
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

I though you had to run a vertical dpc where the existing wall meets the new wall because the existing wall will bridge the cavity ?
(Existing wall corner 'L' then becomes a 'T')

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local