Cavity tray for opening into new extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys,

I'm currently building a small lean to extension on the rear of my house.

The lead flashing of the lean to roof goes right upto and under a large Victorian window.

1 meter down from that window is the opening through the cavity through to the new extension.

I'm starting to wonder if this would require a cavity tray as any external wall above the new opening is now in the roof void and directly above that is the window.

If a cavity tray is required, what sort of tray would be best?

Much appreciated

James

Sponsored Links
The trouble being, if this tray was above the lintel then it would seep out of the wall above the lintel, which is inside the extension.

Ideally, I need a cavity tray that angles left and right so any drops fall into the cavity left and right of the doorway.

Sponsored Links
The tray should be located so that when water is discharged out of the cavity, it does so just above the lead flashing line at the roof abutment (as per Freddy).

If the abutment happens to be a pitched affair as opposed to a straight lean-to, then good luck to ya.

Absolute fekkin nightmare. You have to have the foresight or prediction of the roof pitch, rafter location and thickness of roof material and work from there, as well as messing up and weakening the brickwork.

Retro-fitting of cavity trays ought to be a practical test for all those pen pushers who specify them. :evil:

Nah, could do it with me eyes close, one hand tied behind me back, hanging upside down. Absolute doddle! :p

Did you know that with full fill dri-therm insulation, the manufacturers of the insulation say their product will not admit water and require no additional cavity protection?

Weep vents at lintels is all that is required.

I'm getting what your saying. Sounds like a bloody nightmare to me. It's a lean to roof and not a pitched one. BC haven't mentioned anything so I'm not quite sure what he will say. I'm looking around my area at all the lean to extensions and thinking I'll be damned if they've got bloody cavity trays installed.

I will play this one by ear I think and see what happens.

J

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back