Could I Replace This Lock Myself?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If at all possible, I would like to try and replace my front door lock myself. I reckon it's about to fail completely. The key keeps spinning about, and it takes several attempts for the key to be accepted and lock it.

I want to do it myself, as I've been hit with some large unexpected bills this month, and have a rather poor cash flow at the moment.

Do you reckon I could do this myself, and if so what sort of tools would I need? I see there is a metal reinforcing strip on the door, and am not so sure how to remove it.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

lock1.png

lock2.png

lock3.png

Sponsored Links
Should be just the barrel and not the lock strip itself,if you look down the lock strip and remove the screw That is under the lock pin(the bit that pops out under the latch when you turn your key) turn your key slightly and pull the lock from the thumb turn side it will pull out. Just need to measure the cylinder and order a new one off eBay for under a tenner, if your stuck just google diy euro cylinder replacement

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-6_19-52-42.png
    upload_2019-2-6_19-52-42.png
    142.2 KB · Views: 82
Should be just the barrel and not the lock strip itself,if you look down the lock strip and remove the screw That is under the lock pin(the bit that pops out under the latch when you turn your key) turn your key slightly and pull the lock from the thumb turn side it will pull out. Just need to measure the cylinder and order a new one off eBay for under a tenner, if your stuck just google diy euro cylinder replacement

Thanks, sounds promising!

Really is very simple,might need to unscrew the handle also to make it easier to put new lock in. Sort of job I can charge £60-£100 depending on the quality of the lock as I give a guarantee but costs pennies to do

Sponsored Links
'Really is very simple,might need to unscrew the handle also to make it easier to put new lock in. Sort of job I can charge £60-£100 depending on the quality of the lock as I give a guarantee but costs pennies to do ' - so are you admitting you rip off your customers ?

No not at all,I have to travel to the job which could be 2 miles could be 35miles. I have to keep a stock of cylinders lowest rating being an anti snap/pick/bump,highest being ultion with 6 keys which costs me £65 to buy. I can be there 5 minutes or an hour depending on what work is needed. Sorry leofric but I’m no charity

Sorry to jump in on this thread but I have a question for the locksmith. How secure are those Euro locks with the thumbscrew on the inside? We lock our front door from the inside each night but leave the keys in in case we need to get out quick. I’d like one of those with thumbscrew but I wonder how we'd get on in the case of a burglary. We are told the doors and downstairs windows must be locked but if a burglar got in when we were out, he could easily open our locked front door from the inside which I assume would make our insurance invalid?

Sorry to jump in on this thread but I have a question for the locksmith. How secure are those Euro locks with the thumbscrew on the inside? We lock our front door from the inside each night but leave the keys in in case we need to get out quick. I’d like one of those with thumbscrew but I wonder how we'd get on in the case of a burglary. We are told the doors and downstairs windows must be locked but if a burglar got in when we were out, he could easily open our locked front door from the inside which I assume would make our insurance invalid?
No method of opening a locked door can invalidate insurance .

I meant from the inside. I'm sure I read that if ground floor windows and doors are locked with the keys removed, it makes it harder for the burglar to remove goods. What's the point of a multi point double locked door if there's a snib on the inside - surely that's akin to leaving your keys in the door?

I would only ever suggest installing a thumb turn if the door doesn’t have a letter plate,it’s very easy to get in if the homeowner leaves a key or thumb turn and they have a big hole in the middle of the door

No method of opening a locked door can invalidate insurance .

unless the home insurers stipulate Minimum Standards of Home Security (they do) and you fail to meet them, enabling easy entry.

unless the home insurers stipulate Minimum Standards of Home Security (they do) and you fail to meet them, enabling easy entry.
No locked door allows easy entry .
Motman referred to getting out not in.If you have broken in you already have a means of exit .

No not at all,I have to travel to the job which could be 2 miles could be 35miles. I have to keep a stock of cylinders lowest rating being an anti snap/pick/bump,highest being ultion with 6 keys which costs me £65 to buy. I can be there 5 minutes or an hour depending on what work is needed. Sorry leofric but I’m no charity
Sorry also , I must have misunderstood what you said about it being the sort of job that costs pennies to do.
Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back