Could someone ID this manhole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.

Looking to rip up some terrible tarmac and get it block paved. Could someone tell the purpose of this manhole. Doesnt look like it does anything to me.

Many thanks

Attachments

• 20180918_161642.jpg
    20180918_161642.jpg
    665.5 KB · Views: 134
Sponsored Links
I'll have a dig later and see. All that's visible is the pipe what ever it's for.

the wider one of mine is the fire hydrant. Note the very big square shaft. I have lifted the cap on the water outlet pipe for the photo (it's back now). Should have a retaining chain. The outlet pipe is threaded for the fire pump connector. Since the photo I cleaned the pit out.

BTW it looks like the brick walls of your pit have given way, either from heavy vehicles or because the builders forgot to use cement. It will need digging out and remaking.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
if it is a hydrant, then under the dirt will be something like

FireHydrant.jpg

I think the pipe is about 2 1/2" diameter

if it is a hydrant, then under the dirt will be something like

View attachment 148705

I think the pipe is about 2 1/2" diameter

I can see the hydrant pics thanks John.

I think your spot on, was walking the baby round the streets earlier and i spotted a new hydrant sign on a lamp post, below it was the same cover as mine but painted yellow. I wonder if mine was either missed in the new signage or perhaps it's a blank as doesnt look like there's much down there but ill have a dig.

I'm hoping I can replace it with one you can sink pavers in but if it is a fire hydrant I'm presuming I should leave it well along so it's noticeable in the event of ever being needed?!?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back