Could UK be suspended from EU prior to two year end period?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Chancellor George Osborne has vowed to create a "more outward-looking, global-facing Britain" following the UK vote to leave the European Union.

Even closer economic ties between the UK and US are in the "overwhelming interest of both countries", he has written in the Wall Street Journal.

Although the UK is leaving the EU, "we are not quitting the world", he said.

He is due to travel to New York, Singapore and China for talks with major investors in the coming weeks
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-36760859

We know that individual EU member nations cannot negotiate their own trade deals.
Will George Osborne's trip fall foul of that requirement.
Could UK be suspended from EU prior to Article 50 being invoked and without a two year divorce period?

What has happened/will happen to the argument against TTIP?

Sponsored Links
What sort of buffoon pays any attention to what Osborne has to say? Oh yeah! You JD and the BBC

I commented on TTIP in another thread. Junckers has cut the EU state parliaments out of the Canada trade deal negotiations to try and get it pushed through. If he gets away with it the next logical step will be to cut them out of TTIP as well and get that pushed through. Significant consequences for Europe and the EU but he'll be blinded by the possibility of the double whammy; get the deal signed and a poke in the eye for the UK.

I'm sure the EU are very anxious to see the back of us and our massive contributions as quickly as possible. :LOL::LOL:

Sponsored Links
I commented on TTIP in another thread. Junckers has cut the EU state parliaments out of the Canada trade deal negotiations to try and get it pushed through. If he gets away with it the next logical step will be to cut them out of TTIP as well and get that pushed through. Significant consequences for Europe and the EU but he'll be blinded by the possibility of the double whammy; get the deal signed and a poke in the eye for the UK.
I think you'll find that he can't exclude EU Parliament from voting, nor the Council.

I'm sure the EU are very anxious to see the back of us and our massive contributions as quickly as possible. :LOL::LOL:
You're demonstrating your lack of understanding again.
When one is suspended from an organisation, your entitlements are suspended, not your obligations or your responsibilities.

You talk about Brexiteers being willing to give up sovereignty yet you are willing to see our country give up it's sovereignty to the EU council and parliament. You are either an idiot or a traitor.

When one is suspended from an organisation, your entitlements are suspended, not your obligations or your responsibilities.

I thought you might say that, which is you demonstrating your lack of understanding of Realpolitik again.

I thought you might say that, which is you demonstrating your lack of understanding of Realpolitik again.
Try suspending your motor insurance and stopping the payments.
That's real!
Or to put it another way, if your motor insurance is cancelled you'll stay have to pay what's owed! That's real.

I think you'll find that he can't exclude EU Parliament from voting, nor the Council.
State parliaments - not the EU parliament. Although I note Juncker has now backed down.

State parliaments - not the EU parliament. Although I note Juncker has now backed down.
Surely it's the Commissioners, the representatives of each member state, that is involved not member state parliaments.

Additionally, EU can apply fines to member states:
Fines levied through an Article 260 TFEU3 action might therefore be collected by putting in escrow some portion of the Member States’ EU funding streams until the Member State complies. This power to withhold funds could be given to the Commission through secondary legislation of the sort that has already been used for other conditionalities in funding, like the powers made available under the Excessive Deficit Procedure. This would provide a legal basis for the proposal by the foreign ministers of Germany, Denmark, the Netherlands and Finland4 that the Commission find ways to cut the funds of Member States that are in persistent and serious violation of EU principles.
http://ec.europa.eu/justice/events/...temicinfringementactionbrusselsversion_en.pdf

Yes it is but the backstop is that the text of the deal would also be discussed and voted on by up to 38 individual parliaments before it can be signed, which will certainly slow things down and could even bring it to a stop.

Try suspending your motor insurance and stopping the payments.
That's real!
Or to put it another way, if your motor insurance is cancelled you'll stay have to pay what's owed! That's real.

So is the fact that Britain is now supposed to be leaving the EU. Under those circumstances do you think the almighty Eurocrats would risk the possibility that Britain might say up yours if they were asked to keep on paying into the club while suspended. I don't, but the proof of that pudding will be in the eating. Let's see if anyone tries to suspend us for starting talks with non EU countries.

Sponsored Links
Back