Council Jobsworths

It's a really interesting weekend - Fred Dibnah used to come along as well, lovely man. We get to see them all trundling up the road and the smell is so evocative of them there steam days. Not far from the tip too, so you could combine...! It's on weekend after this.

I'm not far away either (less than 2 miles), so if you're coming up, let me know and pop in for a cuppa :)

Nice thought but we are babysitting my grandson in Essex next weekend; thanks for the invite, prhaps another time. ;)

Sponsored Links
Does anyone remember when the bin men would actually come into your garden, get the bin and then take it to the truck, empty it and then bring it back and close the gate?

And if you were about would actually stop for a chat and would know your name.

Now, unless the bag is not in precisely the designated spot, then it wont be taken as they run past on target for the early finish at 11AM

I used to work with a guy who had driven the bin lorry. Apparently in our area, unless you have a specific disabled collection they are not allowed to step onto your property. If the bin isn't in arms length from the pavement, they can't collect it.
I expect a good christmas tip will go some way to get some slack on the odd occasion that the lid is up a bit.

Apparently in our area, unless you have a specific disabled collection they are not allowed to step onto your property.
Who's rule is this?

If the bin isn't in arms length from the pavement, they can't collect it.
Ditto, who is setting these arbitrary guidelines/rules?

MW

Sponsored Links
Our bin men send a guy round on point who piles 30 or so black sacks in a pile, about 20 minutes later the truck collects the pile. If I have any rubbish that is a bit spurious (an old bath for instance) I will dive out in the 20 minute window of opportunity and put it on the pile. There have been some puzzled looks but all stuff has been taken as they don't know where to return it :D

I would take stuff to the local tip but I drive a van and I get treated like some social pariah, "no trade waste here mate" usually I have only a couple of black sacks of stuff to get shot of but I get turned away and drive past builders in old Volvo estates pulling a trailer who are allowed in as they are in a private car :rolleyes:

I went to a tip in Bracknell a few years back and got weighed on the way in, number 1 son was with me but had dived out to get the teas in and he walked through to help me chuck out the few bits that I had in the back of the van, on the way out we were weighed again and weighed more going out than coming in (about the weight of number 1 son in fact ). Well this put the guy in a real fix as he couldn't work out what to charge us :LOL: I did suggest that if he gave us £20 we would say no more about it :LOL: we paid a minimal amount in the end :rolleyes:

Back